iMod, cables, vcap - I need a new player
Dec 1, 2008 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gechu

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

the battery in my 1st gen Nano isn´t feeling very well so I decided to go looking for a new player.

Logically thinking, when selecting a setup it´s a good thing to match the performance/quality/.. of all the involved components (player, cables, amplifier ..). My current setup is a AKG 701 and a Headsix amp.

I´ve been reading about the iMod, special cables and V-caps, but I find it hard to put those components in relation to my current setup. Thus I wounder, based in my current setup, is the iMod overkill? If not, is it worth paying 200$ for a cable? And is a V-cap a "must have" in terms of SQ having all the other high-end components? Or should I just get another player and skip these thoughts?

I really enjoy listening to Bach.

Thanks,

Erik

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 7
well if you want to get the absolute most out of your K701 in a portable rig then IMO the IMOD/DIYMOD is a must and the VCAP is the next step. I modded my ipod a few months back and I haven't looked back. just finished building my VCAP dock as well and if you aren't worried about the size (I most certainly am not) then really I see no other real competitor. the sony daps produce more thumping bass if thats what you want, but the level of detail and texture in all frequecies produced by my rig now leaves me speechless every time I press play. if you like classical, which is very demanding of all setups then I think you will be very pleased with that combo. I myself am a cable believer, as you can see by my sig. some people aren't, so you are likely to get polarized responses in this thread.

to me the increase in quality and size is well worth the money i've spent, which is more than the standard VCAP, IMOD and cables combo even though I made it myself, because I took things a step further.

all this is IMO of course. PM me if you have more questions

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #3 of 7
double post oops only just noticed

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 7
qusp,
I'm totaly agreee with you.
Imod is certainly one fo the best transportable source.
associate with an RSA amp, it's paradise.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 7
Skip the thoughts, I would just get a regular mp3 player and throw the extra money at your home setup, or maybe buy a pico and have a transportable setup. I have a hard time believing that the cheap dac in an ipod sounds good. I wouldn't throw $200 on a cable for an ipod. Also those big ass "mini" plugs plus the thick, short cable will eventually break the inputs on your amp. Both Ray (I think thats his name, the RSA guy) and Justin (Headamp) have both said that they have fixed amps that were used with these fat cables.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for your comments. I`ve got no home setup and I plan to use my AKG701. Before I eventually decide to place an order, I will do some research into DYI mods.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 7
yes its only for people that need a portable setup and I dont think he would be posting if he didn't; dont you think??? as for the cables breaking inputs well thats true if you're a bit stoopid and dont do something about the wire form. you just need to heat up the LOD in situ with it plugged in with a hairdryer on hot but not too hot as top melt plastic bits. and wave it around like you were drying your hair for 20-30 seconds. then let it cool in that position hey presto; your cable now thinks its that shape. problem solved; and silver solid core cables dont have this problem to begin with; neither do copper solid core for that matter, its only the stranded wire that is rather flexible but doesn't bend into shap so if you dont do this then it puts pressure on the jack and sounds like you havent actually heard anything like we are talking about, so perhaps reserve your comments for something you have. the wofston dac that is used in the 5g and before is also used in some not too cheap CD players and such, so yeah if you gain proper access to it with a setup like this, then you CAN get quality sound. is it as good as the same money spent on a home setup... no of course not; you always pay a premium for something smaller, and there just isn't room to put the massive power supplies etc in a portable. but if what you need is a great transportable that can also do home duty at a pinch then this is the way to go IMO. also its possible to get the cables for a lot cheaper than $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back