iMod and P V-cap dock arriving today!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 1, 2009 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading extensively about the iMod and V-dock combo and I trust that what I read is true. Headfiers have not let me down in the past and don't think they will this time. I have kept my Pocket Dock by Send Station to use for now, I hope this does not make to much degradation in the signal. Jena 22awg Ultra wire with cryo gold plated Neutrik terminations is used from the PD to the v-cap and in all the other interconnects. I think I need to give my wallet a heavy does of morphine however. Initial impressions will be coming soon.

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Well I've listened for about an hour and what can I say? Phenomenal! Here are a few things I noticed,

- more dynamic music presentation
- more impact
- more separation
- more clarity
- used rock setting on EQ in unmodded iPod because off sounded horrible in comparison. Now the iMod in the 'off' setting blows away the iPod in the 'rock' setting
- highs have greater extension
- notice more nuances that i could not hear before
- this is just with 192-320 kbps(I wonder what 320 vs. lossless would be like)
- more accuracy
- greater depth
- Cleaner bass, may be slightly more
- better instrumental synergy

I'm curious as to which one(s) of these improve over time and to what degree.

I am very pleased, needless to say. I'll report back as I notice more changes.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 13
After 5 hrs the imod seems to give a less fatiguing sound.

By the way, does anyone have the link to the 6moons review of the iMod and V-dock? I found the one of just the iMod but not both.

Jul 8, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #6 of 13
I have custom tips formy IE8's on the way from Westone. Some say the tips make a difference, seal(obviously), SQ (I guess due to the tighter seal), and comfort. Anyone hear any good/bad things about Westone's custom tips for IE8's?

Also update on my iMod V-Cap dock: it seems like the sound is not as impressive as when I first listened, that is to be expected as I've experienced this with every initial improvement in SQ. Curious to know how they will open up after say 100 or 200 hrs. Senns seem unforgiving in lower bitrate tracks( 128-264kbps) but I think the recording makes a huge difference more so than bitrate. The higher the bitrate the more you can hear the quality of the recording.

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 13
V Caps can take up to 1000 hours to fully form.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

The iMod is a fine portable player indeed.

May 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #10 of 13
I doubt that Imod is comparable to hifiman - after all it is just a mod of an inferior chip to begin with otherwise .... I'm sure hifiman was developed to BEAT the Imod or it better be because the Imod has set the standard for DAPs for so long that it should have been a major factor. :)

May 14, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 13
well - maybe the vcaps just make it that much better :) ... I shouldn't be making bold declarations like the one above haha! I'm sure it sounds amazing for a portable rig... *drools*

Quote:
its the v caps that make all the difference, fantastic rig

May 15, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 13
i love Imod and Pvcaps, and now i have made my own "high end" capsdock : Vcaps Suprem from Munsdorf (gold/Silver/Oil).
Résult is Better from the original Vcaps, It'll be difficlt to have a better sound from this beloved Imod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back