"iMod/Amp" VS "DAP/Optical/DAC/Amp" VS "PCDP/Optical/DAC/Amp"
Mar 25, 2007 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
As the title says, which one will be superior in terms of SQ? Anybody had experience with all those rigs and can share?

Let's forget about size and weight for a moment, for as long as it is transportable and runs on battery they qualify
wink.gif

Cheers.

Mar 26, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 9
In theory, DAP/Optical/DAC/Amp has the potential to reproduce audio in the highest fidelity out of the three choices you've listed.

With the iMod/Amp, you're stuck with the DAC in the iPod whereas buying an external DAC can yield a ridiculous high SNR, ridiculously low THD, and a perfectly flat FR. With a portable CD player, you're limited by the just 2 channels of 16bit 44.1 sampling whereas some DACs support 24bit, multichannel audio.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiHuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In theory, DAP/Optical/DAC/Amp has the potential to reproduce audio in the highest fidelity out of the three choices you've listed.

With the iMod/Amp, you're stuck with the DAC in the iPod whereas buying an external DAC can yield a ridiculous high SNR, ridiculously low THD, and a perfectly flat FR. With a portable CD player, you're limited by the just 2 channels of 16bit 44.1 sampling whereas some DACs support 24bit, multichannel audio.

WOW! just the answer I need. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 9
I think the most shocking thing is that there are only a couple DAPs in existence that even offer it. You'd think there would be more, especially when you consider the potential, and the fact that most mid-fi 5.1 receivers have optical inputs.

Are they available in Japan?

Mar 27, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 9
As of right now a portable discman or dvd player will sound the best with dac. I had a Iriver h140 and micro dac and my sony d-ej2000 blew it out of the water. The optical out on the iRver is not as good as the sony or coaxial out of certian dvd players. Too noisy for my taste.

Do!

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As of right now a portable discman or dvd player will sound the best with dac. I had a Iriver h140 and micro dac and my sony d-ej2000 blew it out of the water. The optical out on the iRver is not as good as the sony or coaxial out of certian dvd players. Too noisy for my taste.

Do!

¿?

how can an optical out be noisy? theres's only 0's & 1's going through the optical out isn't it?

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiHuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In practice, however, that doesn't work out that way. Most DAPs are also limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz or 16-bit/48kHz audio, as well. On top of that, I don't know of any current production DAP which has any audio out at all besides the headphone jack.

Mar 28, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 9
When I say noisy the sound wasn't as clean. It has been discussed before and I don't know how to explain it. It ws pretty odvious to me when I compared my sony d-ej2000 with my H140 and micro dac. I used the same custom made mini to mini optical cable to micro dac and the d-ej2000 was far superior. I used wav and flac ripped with eac on the h140. The optical out on the sony was simpy better. My laptop trough my edirol to micro dac was better as well using the same files.

Do.

Mar 28, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I say noisy the sound wasn't as clean. It has been discussed before and I don't know how to explain it. It ws pretty odvious to me when I compared my sony d-ej2000 with my H140 and micro dac. I used the same custom made mini to mini optical cable to micro dac and the d-ej2000 was far superior. I used wav and flac ripped with eac on the h140. The optical out on the sony was simpy better. My laptop trough my edirol to micro dac was better as well using the same files.

Do.

That's interesting, I cannot identify any differences between playing the same tracks EAC ripped and stored as FLAC on my 140 over optical out to my 840C, to the CD itself playing out of my 840C. BTW, the 140 optical out is bit perfect, confirmed by playing DTS WAV to a DTS capable receiver.

To the OP, digital out from a DAP to a decent DAC is definitely superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back