Imod--- AMP ? -- Shure E530
Apr 16, 2008 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

cyberan

Head-Fier
I am really lost from all this rain of info on portable amps.

I read many portable-amps threads, but there are no direct comparisons using IEM phones.

I am certain that there are many Imod (RWA) owners with the Shure E500/E530 phones, I would like to hear opinions about amps from those that have this exact setup, which amp is your best sounding amp ?.

I need that amp to serve me as my portable gear; this amp will never work with any other headphone aside from maybe UE11 that I am thinking about for the future.

Size does not bother me that much, but Lisa is too big, so I am searching.

Thanks

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 22
Looking for a simple answer? A used Hornet M provides a lot of amp for a decent price, is a nice size, and has a gain select for IEM's. A lot of people recommend Tomahawks (which I have not heard), but apparently sound quality falls just short of the Hornet.

I've started using a Hornet occasionally with my UE5c's, and I'm recognizing more synergy with that combo than any other amp with those IEM's so far.

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 22
i used the Xin Supermini and i also got the go-vibe 6, the Xin just dies, and the go-vibe sounds no more then ok, i am looking for an amp that will extract a little more from these phones, my hope headcode sure did extract a lot more out of these phones.

i guess there aren't many people with that combo to help

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 22
I much prefered the corda headsix with my imod/se530 combo than the tomahawk.
Since receiving the headsix i've not used the tomahawk once.

I'd definately wait on iqube opinions before jumping on another amps if its pure quality you're after.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 22
sound quality is all i am after, within reasonable size.

i will wait for some additional info on the iqube or other amps from people that made comparisons via IEM.

preferable with the E500/530 and a decent source

Apr 17, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 22
I am using the Portaphile V2^2 maxed with my 5.5G Imod & E500s & I couldn't be happier.
The portaphile is well balanced ,& has great contol of the bass of the E500s
Only downside may be battery life,not a problem for me.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 22
Check out the portaphile gets no love thread for battery life,less then 20 hours.
I owned a SR71,own a prII,heard the hornet ,pico, predator,tomahawk & none made me want to replace the portaphile,its a keeper.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 22
it is a real shame that the portaphile works for less then 10 hours on one recharge, most say it is less then 5 hours with rechargeable batteries.

i thought i found a winner for sound quality, but i will have to give it a second thought because of the very short battery life.

i hope there are a few more people with Imod and IEM that are willing to share their thoughts.

Apr 19, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 22
I've got a 5.5G iMod with SE530's, and the amp that I've arrived at for sounding really beautiful with this source and phones (and being nicely versatile as part of a bedside rig with the iMod and a pair of DT531) is the iBasso P2, available at iBasso.com for $139 US + $17.50 US shipping to ConUS = 156.50 US total. The gain and bass select switches enable me to get a sound that my ear is quite pleased with for both the sensitive SE530 and for the not-as-sensitive DT531.

Truth be told, with more funds to put into it, I'd very likely buy an RSA Predator for $475, based on what I've read about its sound (and posted by whom). However, short of the $300 additional funds for the Predator, my ear is quite pleased with the sound that I am getting from the iBasso P2.

The iBasso P2 gets about 15 hours of use with the iMod and SE530 on a charge of its built-in internal battery.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #15 of 22
thanks for the advice.

BTW, from all the threads that i read, i didn't see any indication that the Predator is any better then the older Ray Samual amps when referring the amp section, it seems like the S-71 or hornet match the SQ level of the Predator and the only difference is the DAC section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back