iMod 80gig W/ Jumbo Cryo X Silver Dock , Emmeline Hornet Amp and Grado GS1000. Anything else I can do???
Apr 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat Bon 0013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody can point me to any DIY'ers willing to build a V-cap iMod dock, other than ALO?

TIA

Headifer Steven Kelby does them, and at reasonable prices. He does stunning work, IMHO.

best,

o

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #17 of 29
I've tried the GS1000 with the Pico, and I'm not sure if that's the route you want to go. It sounds a little funky, but there are great alternatives that go well with the Pico. Even the W5000 sounded fairly well with it.

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the GS1000 with the Pico, and I'm not sure if that's the route you want to go. It sounds a little funky, but there are great alternatives that go well with the Pico. Even the W5000 sounded fairly well with it.

What do you think would sound good with the GS1000? I really want to buy the GS1000's because I'm going to be using the headphones with my home theatre so their not just for the iMod (or maybe I'll just buy a dock for my other iPods). I asked Ken from ALO and he said he likes the ones made by Ray Samuels and Ray Samuels suggests that I use his "Predator".

Apr 30, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that this will only be suitable for your iMod or diyMod, which the signal coupling caps are removed and be replaced by the bigger, higher quality in the dock. You Classic and iPhone can't be modded, so if you use the dock, the signal will go through the caps in your iPod and then again with the caps in the docks. That wont't be a good idea. Moreover, the iPhone has different LOD, not the same as your iPod.

I know this sounds really amateur'ish and I hear a lot of people say that having the signal going through two sets of caps is less then ideal for other iPods, but why is that?

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #20 of 29
Did Mr. Samuels suggest the GS1000 with the Predator, or just the Predator as a portable amp? Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #21 of 29
As a few others have mentioned, and even though I'm a GS1K fan, I'm not sure I'd recommend the phones in this case. The GS1K really does drop out the midrange in many situations and I'm not sure I've heard a SS portable amp that "bubbles it up" to compensate. Tubey signatures can counter-balance, but that's uncommon in a portable. Make no mistake I think this Grado can sound great, but it is finicky (unlike other Grados). Besides the midrange it can also get awful spiky. If you're aiming for SQ, the W5K or AD2K (or even the lesser RS1/MSPro) may outperform with a variety of amps. I contemplated at one point running only an iPod or laptop/Pico (w/DAC)/W5000s (because I need closed though AD2000s would have worked at least as good) setup and selling everything else off. The ATs can be picky too (and their fit especially), but there seems good bang-for-buck there (though I think both phones benefit from tubes). The ATs are a colder sound and treble energy can be an issue for some (though the GS1K can be also), but less problematic if your eventual setup is similar to mine.

May 2, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did Mr. Samuels suggest the GS1000 with the Predator, or just the Predator as a portable amp? Just curious
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I told him that I've got a pair of HD555's and looking to upgrade to GS1000 and I ask what he would suggest and he said the "Predator"

May 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #23 of 29
Yeah thats got me thinking maybe the GS1000's are a little out of my league for now, I really wanted the GS1000's for it's detail but if you say it's a little too finicky then I might reconsider. I wanted something that initially sounds warm but can also come up with some very high detail and definition when it needs to. I'll have to do some more research.

May 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #25 of 29
do you really need such a good portable rig? =D

it's a serious question though--if you never listen at home, then all good for you!

May 2, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you really need such a good portable rig? =D

it's a serious question though--if you never listen at home, then all good for you!

Responding to a few posters here:

1) YES by all means use Steve Kelby or VVS_75: Steve's in Australia and VVS_75 (Vlad) is in Washington DC. Have had both their products and they're fantastic. Plus they're both under $200 for a portable v-cap

2) My current rig is 5.5gImod/Portaphile (or Tomahawk)/big ol' ALO dock for when portable or supercotton dock when using the v-cap, and Klipsch Image or SA6 for IEMs. Would really suggest either of these IEMs. Super comfort,m great sonics and not as ill-feeling as Triple Fi. Also have ETY4p but right now enjoying the other two IEMs more

3) NO I do not have a decent home rig. Sold the whole shootin' match or gave pieces to one of my sons. So a few table radios and this system which I'm loving

Next step: another amp. Want something warmer for the Image so looking at the Millet Hybrid.

Finally, all told about $2K in the whole thing. BUT this is my primary listening source. IF it weren't it would be a whole lot less bux

May 3, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 29
It's just the classics come in 160GB and if my whole rig is going to be that tall then it makes no difference having an extra couple of millimetres for double the space. Also the classic faceplate is much more durable.

Jun 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #29 of 29
That's a solid portable rig.

I would add an IEM to go with it though, the GS-1000 is full-sized hp. Doesn't have to be something high-end to match your GS-1000, say UE-11's. Just get something to complement it, like one of UE Triple fi's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back