iMod 80gig W/ Jumbo Cryo X Silver Dock , Emmeline Hornet Amp and Grado GS1000. Anything else I can do???
Apr 27, 2008 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

HarryTipper

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to seriously upgrade my portable music player from 5g iPod accompanied with Sennheiser HD555/Sony EX85 to the 5.5G iMod with the jumbo cryo x silver dock, hornet amp and the Grado GS1000. Everything is going to cost around $2300 (I live in Australia so it costs a little more) but I want to just buy the best and get everything over and done with instead of going through all the good, bad and ugly.
Now my question to all you audiophiles out there is, is there anything else I can do to improve this setup? and how important is the amp? because the amp will cost around $400 I don't want to spend that much if I don't need to but I will if I need to.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 29
That'd be a nice rig but you can look for the Hornet in FS @ 270$ used. Or you can grasp the Pico @ 300$ without the DAC.
For the ultimate listening experience, get the portable V-Cap Dock.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That'd be a nice rig but you can look for the Hornet in FS @ 270$ used. Or you can grasp the Pico @ 300$ without the DAC.
For the ultimate listening experience, get the portable V-Cap Dock.

Yeah I was considering the v-cap and I'll probably get it if I can get a used amp for a better price. Hmmm once you add up the price to acquire a quality portable player the humble iPod seems not so humble after all but I guess thats the price we pay for the hobby we chose.

I'll probably just do the diyMOD myself.

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryTipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably just do the diyMOD myself.

If you can do that, just do !
biggrin.gif

I've modded my video and it sounds really fantastic
tongue.gif

For the v-cap dock, I think you can build it easily. Just get 2 caps and solder them to the RCA jacks
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Do you know if it sounds as good as the iMod?

According to some listeners who compare directly the iMod and diyMod, the SQ is the same, but the diy is a bit brighter
tongue.gif
If it can save you 250$ for the mod, why not try it ?

Apr 27, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 29
I have basically the same equipment but added the portable v-cap dock. In all honesty, it makes the entire rig very tall--Imod, v-cap and amp--so portability may be sacrificed. But OOOO the sound. Check around for the DIYers to do the v-cap. Ididnt trust myself to do it and can be done for $200or less.

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 29
Yeah I know if I get the v-cap I'll be practically carrying around the empire state building but doesn't really bother me, SQ is absolute paramount so I think I'll have to add the v-cap.

I think thats the only thing I missed on my list. Can't wait!

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #10 of 29
I would go for the Move over the Hornet, I thought they sounded pretty similar in a near-identical set-up (5.5g iMod, cotton dock, amp, GS1000), and you get the wonderful (IMO) crossfeed. Although I preferred the TTVJ Millet Portable over both, so lush, although very slight tube hiss with the lowish-impedance Grados...
Oh, and you won't want the whole GS-1000 cable length if it's portable, might as well get them recabled if you're going straight to the top
tongue.gif

If you're getting the iMod you need an amp + dock, SQ is not altered out of the headphone socket. If the diyMod is brighter, maybe not such a good choice with the GS-1000, which a lot of people find too bright to start with....

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Yeah I know if I get the v-cap I'll be practically carrying around the empire state building but doesn't really bother me, SQ is absolute paramount so I think I'll have to add the v-cap.

I think thats the only thing I missed on my list. Can't wait!

Nice move
smily_headphones1.gif

Will you buy it or DIY ?

I'm thinking about making a better cap dock but still poor these days
frown.gif
Can't afford the v-cap or mundorf. Maybe I'll take a shot at ClarityCaps
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the Move over the Hornet, I thought they sounded pretty similar in a near-identical set-up (5.5g iMod, cotton dock, amp, GS1000), and you get the wonderful (IMO) crossfeed. Although I preferred the TTVJ Millet Portable over both, so lush, although very slight tube hiss with the lowish-impedance Grados...
Oh, and you won't want the whole GS-1000 cable length if it's portable, might as well get them recabled if you're going straight to the top
tongue.gif

If you're getting the iMod you need an amp + dock, SQ is not altered out of the headphone socket. If the diyMod is brighter, maybe not such a good choice with the GS-1000, which a lot of people find too bright to start with....

Yeah thanks, that brings up a great point that I'll keep in mind.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 29
I'm still learning about these things so I think I'll buy a diy'ed one. The ones made by ALO look very professional but I like the rustic and custom look of the diy ones.

One other thing, is the JXS dock going to work just as well on my iPhone and classic? It would be great if all the equipment were interchangeable with all my iPods. Or is there another dock that would produce better sound with the iPhone, classic and iMod?

I really appreciate all the replies.

Apr 29, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

I'm still learning about these things so I think I'll buy a diy'ed one. The ones made by ALO look very professional but I like the rustic and custom look of the diy ones.

One other thing, is the JXS dock going to work just as well on my iPhone and classic? It would be great if all the equipment were interchangeable with all my iPods. Or is there another dock that would produce better sound with the iPhone, classic and iMod?

I really appreciate all the replies.

Keep in mind that this will only be suitable for your iMod or diyMod, which the signal coupling caps are removed and be replaced by the bigger, higher quality in the dock. You Classic and iPhone can't be modded, so if you use the dock, the signal will go through the caps in your iPod and then again with the caps in the docks. That wont't be a good idea. Moreover, the iPhone has different LOD, not the same as your iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back