iMod 5g related ideas
May 16, 2007 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Packgrog

500+ Head-Fier
First off, bravo to Vinnie and Ken for finding a way of improving on the newer iPods. Very slick! I'm sure they're fantastic, and I'm very curious to hear them.

However, along with some other folks, I'm a little concerned about the requirement for a specific, special dock cable that MUST be used with these new iMods. What happens to those people who already invested large amounts of money in cables? How about those folks who want to charge their iPods while playing through an amp? These people are all screwed.

While these special cables are definitely preferable for portability, it would probably be a good idea to also offer a special dock that provides both a mini line-out and a replicated dock port, while also matching the dimensions of the bottom of an iPod. This way, users could use their existing cables (either dock cables or mini cables), charge their iPods while listening, AND still use any device with a built-in dock (useful if you wanted to bring your iMod to someone else's house who has one of those silly speaker devices). Some other people have made similar requests.

On another perspective, if you're set on using an iPod anyway, why not build an amp that takes it's input directly from a built-in dock connector, mounting directly to the bottom of an iPod? No external cables would be needed. The whole unit might be a little bit longer, but still relatively flat. This seems quite feasible given the size and dimensions of the Xin SuperMicro. Something like this could work for any existing iPod, and obviously a special version could be made with the extra hardware for the 5G iMod. I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done ages ago.

Just a few ideas I thought I'd throw out there. Thoughts, anyone?

May 16, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 4
You have some useful ideas there, paticularly with the dual-functional dock. I'm sure they have already thought about this and either a) realized it isn't possible or b) are secretly working on it. But I will disagree with you on the idea of the amp. Not everyone prefers to have their amp stuck on their iPod; myself for an example. I tend to use my iMod at home, and on the go as well, and carry them in my pocket. Having them stuck together is frustrating at that point, instead of having them side by side. But the main reason for the amp is not the form-fit factor. Primarily, this would not be a feasible idea as many who purchase a dedicated amp do so not merely for universal amplification. Many people opt to synergize their amp with their headphones. i.e. tomahawk with shures, supermicro IV with etys etc.

May 16, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 4
It would be nice, though, if Vinnie could do a "xin amped imod" under request.

May 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 4
I can't argue that it's often preferable to have improved ability to mix and match (thus the idea of the multi-dock line out). It just seems that there may be some folks out there who might not want the extra bulk and fuss of extra cabling, for whom a smallish amp that docks directly with the iPod might be a better option. I love my Tomahawk, but even with it connected just to my iriver H120 it's kind of bulky and fussy for the gym. I've taken to just using my Cowon A2 direct from the headphone out because of this, and an iPod with a SuperMicro-sized amp built directly into the bottom of it would probably be even smaller. *shrug*
smily_headphones1.gif

As I'd said, though, both ideas are on the opposite end of the spectrum. One is for greater flexibility, one is for greater portability. Both seem viable.

It's also worth noting that the Tomahawk works beautifully with the Future Sonics Atrio m5. LOVE this combo. Now I just need a better source...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back