iMod 5.5G - 240GB + 850mAh battery + capacitors inside = possible?
Apr 18, 2012 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LammerOutsider

Head-Fier
Hi, 

I want to buy new DAP, and I am wondering if it is possible to make iMod based on iPod 5.5G, but with new 240 GB disc, and extended 850 mAh battery, is it even possible to put it all there?

iMod needs bigger capacitors, as everyone knows, but is it possible to put them inside the box? (I dont want to put them in LOD - I want to use low-profile LOD) Which capacitors would be the best? (excluding some super-expensive capacitors)

Thanks for any help!!

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hi, 

I want to buy new DAP, and I am wondering if it is possible to make iMod based on iPod 5.5G, but with new 240 GB disc, and extended 850 mAh battery, is it even possible to put it all there?

iMod needs bigger capacitors, as everyone knows, but is it possible to put them inside the box? (I dont want to put them in LOD - I want to use low-profile LOD) Which capacitors would be the best? (excluding some super-expensive capacitors)

Thanks for any help!!

Yes, possible. You would need to get the 256 GB SSD that would work in the iPod. First off, you need a 5.5G iPod that came with an 80GB HDD, so that you know it has 64MB on the main logic board, which is required to handle that amount of storage. The SSD takes up the same amount of space as the 30GB HDD so it will have some extra space in the back plate for the caps. The 850 mAh battery will fit because of the added space from the back plate of the 80GB iPod, and you may have to use smaller caps than the standard 47 uF ones used in the iMod dock connectors.

That setup would, in theory work, but Red Wine Audio will not put the caps inside the device, so it would have to be a DIYMod, done by yourself or someone else (possibly a forum member). Check out the iPod SSD thread to find the right SSD that will work in an iPod and the DIYMod thread to find a user to help you out, or at least the tutorial on how to do it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Yes, possible. You would need to get the 256 GB SSD that would work in the iPod. First off, you need a 5.5G iPod that came with an 80GB HDD, so that you know it has 64MB on the main logic board, which is required to handle that amount of storage. The SSD takes up the same amount of space as the 30GB HDD so it will have some extra space in the back plate for the caps. The 850 mAh battery will fit because of the added space from the back plate of the 80GB iPod, and you may have to use smaller caps than the standard 47 uF ones used in the iMod dock connectors.

That setup would, in theory work, but Red Wine Audio will not put the caps inside the device, so it would have to be a DIYMod, done by yourself or someone else (possibly a forum member). Check out the iPod SSD thread to find the right SSD that will work in an iPod and the DIYMod thread to find a user to help you out, or at least the tutorial on how to do it.

Thanks. But I actually meant this, normal 1,8" HDD. SSD is too expensive.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 10
Too thick, still would need a 80gb iPod 5.5g to make it work, needs the extra RAM on the board to handle the capacity (30GB version will handle up to 128GB HDD).  You wouldn't be able to fit the caps inside the iPod well. 

Some members on the forums have done it, i think. With a drive that thick you would either need a larger back plate, which I am not aware exists, or hide the caps at the bottom of the iPod, in the enclosure, just right behind the dock port. Not sure how much space their is, but people have used that space to hide two caps in the iPod in the past. 
Quote:

Thanks. But I actually meant this, normal 1,8" HDD. SSD is too expensive.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I recently bought this battery and it gives 15+ hrs on my rockboxed iPod video 5g (upgraded to 120GB HDD) playing FLAC's only.

I have already loaded the 120GB HDD to 99% full and everything runs like a charm on the ipod. No lag and very responsive.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I recently bought this battery and it gives 15+ hrs on my rockboxed iPod video 5g (upgraded to 120GB HDD) playing FLAC's only.

I have already loaded the 120GB HDD to 99% full and everything runs like a charm on the ipod. No lag and very responsive.

But this battery does not fit into 60 and/or 80 GB versions of ipod. And I need 80 GB because of thicker design (240GB replacement hdd).. Anyway, thanks for advice!

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 10
You do realize they use the same battery, the larger capacity one in the 80GB iPod is due to increased space... (Or I am completely wrong and have been for a very long time in this respect)
Quote:
But this battery does not fit into 60 and/or 80 GB versions of ipod. And I need 80 GB because of thicker design (240GB replacement hdd).. Anyway, thanks for advice!

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
You do realize they use the same battery, the larger capacity one in the 80GB iPod is due to increased space... (Or I am completely wrong and have been for a very long time in this respect)

It is written in description of ebay item..

Please anybody? Need to make decision :frowning2:  Because if it won't fit inside iMod I need to put the capacitors inside LOD...

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

It is written in description of ebay item..

Please anybody? Need to make decision :frowning2:  Because if it won't fit inside iMod I need to put the capacitors inside LOD...

Well, i apologize for my mistake, I didnt mean to come off as a know it all.

But....as I said, Red Wine Audio wont do caps on inside of iPod, so you shouldnt call it an iMod, i believe its a licensed trademark to RWA and what you want is called a diyMod, because of this fact, or one of the other types of mods to an iPod that have different names attributed to them

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

Well, i apologize for my mistake, I didnt mean to come off as a know it all.

But....as I said, Red Wine Audio wont do caps on inside of iPod, so you shouldnt call it an iMod, i believe its a licensed trademark to RWA and what you want is called a diyMod, because of this fact, or one of the other types of mods to an iPod that have different names attributed to them

OK, I will call it DIY iMod, according to other members of this forum who call it DIY iMod too :) But.. still need help, not OT :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back