Immortal - All Shall Fall
Sep 24, 2009 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Is this the best metal album of all time
bigsmile_face.gif
. Seriously, I was surprised by how heavy it sounds, it sounds a lot like their pre-At the Heart of Winter stuff. Great comeback
L3000.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Wowow a new Immortal album!

Sep 24, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by balanceofpower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seeing a release date of October 6th for the USA. Has this been released especially early to certain retailers?

It cam out in Europe on September 25,2009

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Holy s*** man! When did they release a new album!? I have to get it ASAP!
eek.gif

*edit* Nevermind, above post answered my question.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #6 of 9
So being huge Immortal fan I ordered the album immidietly (digipack!), along with few other albums, but impatient person that I am I also downloaded the leaked Mp3 version of it gave a listen.

Its something between At The Heart Of Winter and Sons Of Northern Darkness. Good stuff, if bit bland on first listen, until last track hitted in. Through the album I felt there was something missing. Abbath always had some creative riffs, but this time they felt bit recycled. Even drumming was very bland. I love Horghs drumming, but this through the album it sounded almost same in all songs. It seemed to lack some hooks in the "plotline" or something. Except the last song, holy hell that was awesome! Its quite uncommon that best sond would be last. Starts out slow and atmospheric, then suddenly burst to Abbaths testicle-smashing riffing and Horgh gets turned on too (
biggrin.gif
), and it all ends slowly again in very ATHOW's style. Truly epic song, this is the Immortal I love.

I have to give it a better listen, especially once I have the album and lyrics book in my hands. Other songs should have something I missed or perhaps they are just "growers", it would be shame if I would end up listening the last song only when it comes to this album.

*edit* Heh, even metal-archives forum seems to have difficulties what to think about this album. It has influences from SoND, ATHOW and a bit of I (Abbaths heavymetal side project. Very Immortal sounding, blackened but still pure heavymetal) in the mix. Somewhat hard to get into, other than the last song.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So being huge Immortal fan I ordered the album immidietly (digipack!), along with few other albums, but impatient person that I am I also downloaded the leaked Mp3 version of it gave a listen.

Its something between At The Heart Of Winter and Sons Of Northern Darkness. Good stuff, if bit bland on first listen, until last track hitted in. Through the album I felt there was something missing. Abbath always had some creative riffs, but this time they felt bit recycled. Even drumming was very bland. I love Horghs drumming, but this through the album it sounded almost same in all songs. It seemed to lack some hooks in the "plotline" or something. Except the last song, holy hell that was awesome! Its quite uncommon that best sond would be last. Starts out slow and atmospheric, then suddenly burst to Abbaths testicle-smashing riffing and Horgh gets turned on too (
biggrin.gif
), and it all ends slowly again in very ATHOW's style. Truly epic song, this is the Immortal I love.

I have to give it a better listen, especially once I have the album and lyrics book in my hands. Other songs should have something I missed or perhaps they are just "growers", it would be shame if I would end up listening the last song only when it comes to this album.

*edit* Heh, even metal-archives forum seems to have difficulties what to think about this album. It has influences from SoND, ATHOW and a bit of I (Abbaths heavymetal side project. Very Immortal sounding, blackened but still pure heavymetal) in the mix. Somewhat hard to get into, other than the last song.

I think it more accurately sounds like their pre-At the Heart of Winter albums, in the mold of Blizzard Beasts and Battles In The North, except with better production. If you are looking for something like At The Heart Of Winter or Sons Of Northern Darkness you're not going to find it here.

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Hmmm... Funny, I'm not hearing much Pre-ATHOW influence here. Blizzard Beasts maybe, but not Pure Holocaust or Battles In The North.

Or perhaps that is my memory failing. While I like both above, it has been ages since I listened them. Perhaps now is the time to refresh my memory...

In any case that last song, Unearthly Kingdom, still kicks arse!

*edit* But then again, this album has better production. HOWEVER, when it comes to blackmetal like older Immortal, a raw production is needed because it adds sort of additional layer to that ambient melody. But Immortals modern production is also good for making atmospheric stuff.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 9
Heh, that was fast. I ordered yesterday and now I have the disc in my hands. I was expecting it at monday. Nice surprise waiting at my home after I came from work.
smily_headphones1.gif

Looking at the picture in case and booklet, Immortal is definetly back. LOL
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back