Immersive, movie-theater-like comfy headphones - Games, movies, soundtracks. Budget 200
May 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hey!

I want to immerse myself in movies, games and music and feel like if I was in the movie theater. That is: loud, rumbling sound. Maybe 3d or virtual surround for more open/positioning feel. I do not rule out gaming headsets like playstation platinium or hyperx, steelseries, razer stuff. Maybe gaming headphones are not terrible like 10 years ago ? Especially if these are wireless and convinient with lots of features like surround.

I am playing games on ps4 and pc. PS4 is obviously only using controller headphone output and on pc I have e10k. I like to immerse myself, feel the gentle atmosphere of games like Bloodborne... but when the action comes, I want the action to really COME. There is a reason why Bloodborne bombastic boss fight music sounds better in my car rather than when I am playing at home.

I am using fantastic Koss Porta Pro. I actually love them but I have em for 5 years. These are light, comfy, do not sweat, the sound sometimes feels like it comes from my room. Maybe muddy at times and sounding but I like the musicality. I am just interested to try other headphones and maybe wireless virtual surround if we talk about ps4.
So Opennes, cinema low bass... comfort? these do not come together.

I do have CAL! here and I always though these sound... boring? The sound seems kinda toned down and further away. I've sold HM5 too since (aside from crushing my head) I've discovered that flat boring response is not for me.

May 9, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Soundmagic HP200 (open) headphones.

May 10, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 3
I want to immerse myself in movies, games and music and feel like if I was in the movie theater. That is: loud, rumbling sound. Maybe 3d or virtual surround for more open/positioning feel. I do not rule out gaming headsets like playstation platinium or hyperx, steelseries, razer stuff. Maybe gaming headphones are not terrible like 10 years ago ? Especially if these are wireless and convinient with lots of features like surround.

I am playing games on ps4 and pc. PS4 is obviously only using controller headphone output and on pc I have e10k. I like to immerse myself, feel the gentle atmosphere of games like Bloodborne... but when the action comes, I want the action to really COME. There is a reason why Bloodborne bombastic boss fight music sounds better in my car rather than when I am playing at home.

You need to play them louder without distortion, apart from having the right response curve. Either you get a higher sensitivity, not too low impedance headphone depending on what you plug them into, or you get a good amp to drive them and just crank it up when you go into the fight scenes.

I am using fantastic Koss Porta Pro. I actually love them but I have em for 5 years. These are light, comfy, do not sweat, the sound sometimes feels like it comes from my room. Maybe muddy at times and sounding but I like the musicality. I am just interested to try other headphones and maybe wireless virtual surround if we talk about ps4.
So Opennes, cinema low bass... comfort? these do not come together.

I do have CAL! here and I always though these sound... boring? The sound seems kinda toned down and further away. I've sold HM5 too since (aside from crushing my head) I've discovered that flat boring response is not for me.

Virtual Surround will make those problems even worse since they simulate the sound coming from farther out from you, since an explosion that sounds like it's right next to your head will blow your head off, not knock you down (unless your skin and internal organs are made of tougher stuff, like Thor being science-d as having skin made from nano metal in Infinity War).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back