Immersive gaming audio
Jul 28, 2011 at 7:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Perturabo

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC from the onboard sound and headache inducing free headset combo I am currently using.

My main focus is gaming, specifically RTS (semi-competatively), RPGs, and the odd FPS like Bioshock or Fallout that is a bit more story driven and involved that the COD type.

Id like to create a more immersive experience with sound playing a central role rather than being an after thought. Virtual 5.1 sounds like it could add to the immersion in some instances, but pin pointing people in fps games isnt a concern for me.

As you can probably tell i am quite new to the idea of decent audio and could use some help.

I have read alot of articles about various headphones, soundcards and gaming headsets and apart from coming to the conclusion that gaming headsets are probably the least desirable choice I am more confused than when I started.

The main genres of music I listen to are metal and classical but I listen to music less time than I spend gaming when im using my computer so this is more of an added bonus than anything if the system is good for these genres.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if additional information is needed please let me know.

Thanks.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 2
hmm..I can say that I've researched the topic a bit as well.  I used to have the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz before I got the DAL CardDeluxe, which I'm very satisfied with, but if you want 5.1 surround that probably isn't the way to go unless you feel like buying 3 cards and syncing for the channels.  I've heard good things about the M-Audio line, and was considering it myself before the CardDeluxe, but for extra info and research you can find performance analysis of various sound cards with RightMark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back