Immersive and tight bass closed headphones
Aug 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

my2crazy

New Head-Fier
I have been reading posts and reviews for hours now and I figured it was time to make a post.

I have been using Grado SR-80s (not 80i) for quite awhile now and I like them, but I am ready for something new. Since my family is getting louder(kids are 5 and 7 now heh) I need something with decent isolation. I plan on using these for music, computer gaming and practicing on my digital piano and the occasional movie.

I have been listening to a lot more electronica and other music with more bass recently(Gorillaz).

I would like to find something immersive, sound isolating, with nice tight bass and a good directional sense. I know this is a change from the Grados. 

The ultrasone Pro 900 look nice on paper, but it looks like they are too hard to drive and on the pricey side.

I don't really have a monitary cap, but anything over about 150 starts to get alittle painful as I would be just tempted to give up on this goal and treat myself with the grado sr225 that I have been craving for a long time(but don't really work for my needs right now).

If it is worth spending more I can do it.

I would love any advice on possible contenders to look at.

(My location is Japan/US, a most enjoyable headphone shopping combination)

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 14
I just saw the Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic on amazon for about 150 dollars. and the Ultrasone PRO-750 for about 180. Both way discounted from original pricing. Could these be what I am looking for...assuming I can drive them without an amp?

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I have been reading posts and reviews for hours now and I figured it was time to make a post.

I have been using Grado SR-80s (not 80i) for quite awhile now and I like them, but I am ready for something new. Since my family is getting louder(kids are 5 and 7 now heh) I need something with decent isolation. I plan on using these for music, computer gaming and practicing on my digital piano and the occasional movie.

I have been listening to a lot more electronica and other music with more bass recently(Gorillaz).

I would like to find something immersive, sound isolating, with nice tight bass and a good directional sense. I know this is a change from the Grados. 

The ultrasone Pro 900 look nice on paper, but it looks like they are too hard to drive and on the pricey side.

I don't really have a monitary cap, but anything over about 150 starts to get alittle painful as I would be just tempted to give up on this goal and treat myself with the grado sr225 that I have been craving for a long time(but don't really work for my needs right now).

If it is worth spending more I can do it.

I would love any advice on possible contenders to look at.

(My location is Japan/US, a most enjoyable headphone shopping combination)

The Pro 900 has only 40 ohm impedance, which means they are easy to drive. I have tried the HFI780 and the sound is pretty good, but I heard the Pro 900 is more worth it. I am sure there are stores in US/JP where you can audition those headphones so you can decide which one fits you better.

I tried the new Denon D600 as well, and I prefer those much more than the HFI780. The sound is cleaner, more detailed. Better bass texture and control. Much more comfortable, at the expense of portability.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 14
I am going to head to Yodobashi in the next day or two to try out some headphones. I will be sure to seek out the Denon D600 for a sample. It's the only store I have been to that even has a case of Grados, no brainwavz though.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 14
The V-Moda M80 offers deep tight bass with crisp clear mids, highs(highly recommended) and they improve with AMPs help. But sound great out of iPods and easy to drive(very good value).

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
I am going to head to Yodobashi in the next day or two to try out some headphones. I will be sure to seek out the Denon D600 for a sample. It's the only store I have been to that even has a case of Grados, no brainwavz though.

As a Grado owner/fan, I bought BeyerDynamic DT660's for isolation.  Great isolation, impressive sub-bass, soundstage a little narrow (they're closed), I like.  List is $240 in the states.  I ran onto a deal on amazon recently for $185.  Might be worth a try.

Aug 22, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the replies everyone. I decided on the Ultrasone HFI 780. Listening to them now. So far I like the sound although some highs seem pretty intense. Will have to see how they pan out after some time.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 14
In case someone references this thread later. I am happy with my HFI 780s. Music sounds good especially electronica or dubstep. I use them for gaming quite a bit as well and they work fine in that role, although I havn't used any of the headphones that are commonly recommended for gaming. When you first get them the highs will be harsh, but they settle out after some use while still retaining decent detail. They are more comfortable than my Grados but less comfortable than other headphones I have tried on. Overall I would say they are a good multipurpose set of headphones that shine their brightest with electronica/dubstep.

Oh they also seem pretty durable so far and my track-ir does clip onto them.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 14
Are you running your HFI-780 from an onboard audio chip, an internal soundcard, a USB DAC, what? And do you have a headphone amp?

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Ah. Have you thought about getting a headphone amp, like a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11? Any of those would help drive your HFI-780 better. While the HFI-780 are easy to drive, they can benefit from additional amping.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #13 of 14
I use to have the Fiio E11. I really liked it when paired with my wife's iphone4, but when I started using my Cowon J3 I didn't really seem to get any benefit and the noise floor was slightly higher with the amp then without so I traded it away. The Cowon J3 has a pretty nice output for a portable device. This was with my Grado Sr-80s.

Someone is trying to trade me a Fiio E9. I am not sure if it would really be worth it over the X-fi though without the E7 to dock with it.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #14 of 14
Amp wise, you will be much better served with a Fiio E9 rather than a Fiio E11. Adding it to the X-Fi XtremeGamer will provide you all the soundcard features with the powerful amplification of the Fiio E9. Forget about the Fiio E7, it's not really needed. If you do decide to get a higher performing DAC later on, you can get a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD, a very powerful internal soundcard, better than many USB DACs costing quite more.

Also, great PMP you have :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back