Imbalance Ohm connectors.
Apr 15, 2020 at 2:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wric01

New Head-Fier
My Headphone hifiman He400s all of sudden have volume louder on one side and lowered on other side.swap cables still same.
Headphone specs says 22ohm thus I get 22ohm measuring one driver to connector while the other connector on the other turn out 44ohm. So I figure add some flux melt solder back on wire+connector which should fix it. But dang it still measures 44ohms. Do I need to cut strip a new section on wire to connector and resolder?

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 6
My Headphone hifiman He400s all of sudden have volume louder on one side and lowered on other side.swap cables still same.
Headphone specs says 22ohm thus I get 22ohm measuring one driver to connector while the other connector on the other turn out 44ohm. So I figure add some flux melt solder back on wire+connector which should fix it. But dang it still measures 44ohms. Do I need to cut strip a new section on wire to connector and resolder?
To put it simply, one driver has 'failed' somehow, and no matter how much solder you add, nothing will change.

You either need to get the faulty driver replaced, or create a Resistor-Adpater, by soldering two or three resistors in-line until the volume is the same.
Do not worry if the impedance does not match - you need to match the volumes.

It's not uncommon for the impedance to be different on two 'matched' drivers because they might have the same sensitivity and volume output.
Basically, sensitivity and impedance are not the same thing.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 6
To put it simply, one driver has 'failed' somehow, and no matter how much solder you add, nothing will change.

You either need to get the faulty driver replaced, or create a Resistor-Adpater, by soldering two or three resistors in-line until the volume is the same.
Do not worry if the impedance does not match - you need to match the volumes.

It's not uncommon for the impedance to be different on two 'matched' drivers because they might have the same sensitivity and volume output.
Basically, sensitivity and impedance are not the same thing.
I forgot to mention it's a planar , I figure it s a little different?

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 6
I forgot to mention it's a planar , I figure it s a little different?
Variances in planar impedance are a bit different to dynamics. They certainly don't matter as much as they do in dynamics.

And I'm just measuring the connector itself to the connecting soldering point. Bad connector?
I can't answer that without troubleshooting the headphone personally ^_^"
You can measure from the connector, which is a bit difficult because of how small it is.
You should get a pretty good measurement just from the TRS plug.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #6 of 6
I just realized so long as driver is connected the ohm differential will always be there. I m a little new to ohm meters stooped me thinking if I just measure short distance of connector itself to isolate it was connector. Thus you were right the driver is likely the culprit. ThanksI really appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back