iMac v. MacBook for audio?
Nov 27, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

I'm typing from a MacBook right now, and have had zero problems with it. It stays up 24/7 without fail. Still haven't had an Apple product fail on me and I've owned various models since...

Well, you can consider yourself and family lucky. I'm just one of many I know that have had hardware related issues with Macs and share similar experiences with the repair center botching the repair and destroying the system and then having to go a month or so without it.

Quote:

OS X is a huge advantage over Windows. It does not crash. Neither does Linux, for that matter. By the way, I'm one of those Linux zealots, too. I had some trouble with System 7.0 back in the day (the disappearing files were a bear, and I still much prefer 6.0.8 on the vintage machines) but nothing much with OS X. Nor RedHat/Fedora since I started using RH 7.3 some time ago. Anyway, my Macs stay up for years and I'm about to clock 36 months of uptime on my Fedora machine. I have to use XP, SP2 at work. I measure its uptime in hours. No joke. At least one freeze or crash per day. Nothing personal or philosophical against Microsoft, but, in my experience, Windows is not ready for a production environment. I can't tell you how much work I've lost and how many extra hours clients have paid for because of its instability. When a really important project comes down the pipe these days, I bring the MacBook in to work because I trust it.

I've been using Windows since the 3.0 days. I've used 3.0, 3.11, 95, 95B, 98, 98SE, ME, XP, and Vista. Out of all of those various versions of Windows, I can count the combined number of times I had a full system lockup on one hand. Through all of the various versions of Windows, all of them combined, I have only had 5 total system crashes.

I've been using OS X since March, upgraded to Leopard the day it came out. Since March I have had OS X crash 5 times. One time it crashed while I was trying to burn a DVD of data. All I did was right click > New Burn Folder then I dragged the files over to the folder. I clicked "Burn" and put the DVD in that it asked for. System locked up. Just a couple of days ago I was installing Photoshop CS3. System locked up during the installer. Couldn't force quit anything. Complete system lockup. I've had other random crashes for no reason while browsing the web in Safari or using iDVD to create a DVD.

I've been running this HP now for about a month with XP and I have not had one single hiccup with it. Ironically, if I'm doing something that requires speed and stability, I have to leave the Mac at home and take my XP based HP.

Quote:

Lack of utilities? Would you please provide some examples of the nickel and diming? I haven't seen it. I generally use open source software and have been able to find what I need for free. Can't comment on Windows, as I only use it at work. But I've never had trouble finding OSS Mac (or Linux) utilities.

Well, one big example is the lack of firewalls for OS X. The only way to get outbound connection control is to buy Little Snitch. There are no other options. Theres also lots of other little programs that try to charge small amounts of money. Software for OS X seems to start out free then turn paid more often than not. Look at iFuntastic as an example. Started out free and now its "Shareware". Ridiculous.

Quote:

As for DVDs, there are other players available. Free ones, at that. You don't have to use the one it comes with. Though the included one is fine by me, but that's only for plane trips and hotel rooms. Any serious watching is done on a TV set. If you use a different configuration, well, maybe it doesn't work for you. However, I've been pleased with playback so far.

You basically have VLC, which isn't very good, and DVD Player. Up until Leopard, DVD Player didn't even properly upscale video. It simply stretched it to whatever resolution your display was set to. This resulted in washed out and blurry video when set to fullscreen. Leopard finally upscales video properly (Quicktime, however, still does not), but the "advanced deinterlacing" that Apple tries to say is one of Leopards 300 new features just about kills any kind of TV based content. DVD Player still lacks the capability to decode the .1 LFE channel and send it to headphones or speakers. Something Windows DVD players have been doing since the 90s. It also lacks advanced power saving features, such as caching the disc to RAM like WinDVD and others in Windows do. This saves the life of the battery and the drive in question. Considering Apple uses very low quality optical drives and they are not meant to be serviced by the user, this is something that every Mac owner should consider very important.

Quote:

iMac and MacBook both come with GarageBand and QuickTime which are pretty nifty and powerful tools for amateur recording and mixing.

Quicktime requires you to pay extra money to make it useful. At least Apple finally decided to let people go fullscreen without paying. But yet they stupidly decided to take away the ability to view the stream statistics. Whats up with that?

GarageBand is okay at best. It's an extreme resource hog, however. Apple also requires $100 a pop to get full functionality out of it. GarageBand is basically one of those free pieces of mixing software that used to come with non-Creative soundcards, yet has a prettier interface. Even the newest GarageBand has all of the original functionality toned down and the focus more on recording podcasts and cheesy lounge music to go with it.

Quote:

If you want to go pro, Logic Studio and Logic Express are pretty darn popular. If you want to do it rough and ready, Audacity is free and works well. Motu, Mackie, and others also exist. The whole software spectrum is covered from $0 to $500. The supposed lack of software hasn't stopped hundreds of pro musicians from using Macs to produce their music.

The fact that Gwen Stefani is on that list should be a sign that you should look elsewhere.

Let's not forget that Pro Tools, the defacto standard for musicians, is available on Macs and PCs. As well as every tool made by M-Audio.

Quote:

Pretty much all external USB and firewire recording devices work as well in OS X as they do in Windows. For simple 2-channel work sans USB, both the iMac and the MacBook have optical digital input. Again, MOTU, Mackie, Creative, M-Audio, the list goes on, all make Mac and PC compatible devices.

Let's not forget that the quality of the DAC and ADC on the Macs built-in audio isn't exactly the best.

Quote:

^ Agree with the top 2 posts 100%. Anybody who works in the arts (whether it be music or graphic) would tell you that Apple is the way to go.

All of the artists I know (musician, anime, graphic artists for websites, photographers that get in nationally published magazines) have no troubles with their Windows machines. In fact, some software that anime and other artists use (like openCanvas, pretty much the standard for anime and Japanese artists) is not available on OS X.

Quote:

Bout the h.p out.. I'd say mine on my mbp is pretty decent. Better than most 'on board' pc ones. I'm not sure how well it would stand against a good added on card. I listen with an alien dac, and the difference is.. worth using an alien dac with I still use the h.p out for movies and stuff if I need.. on the go or whatever.. but for most people and their purposes.. yeah, h.p out is pretty good

That is very untrue. Both of my Macs have sounded better than the first HP notebook I had. But this system I have now? Its not even close. The headphone output on my HP, compared to my Mac, has actual base. The midrange is alive, and theres detail on the higher end. The MacBook just sounds flat. Detailed, but even more flat than any of the iPods I own. It's basically lifeless, but detailed.

When it comes to using it for movies... it's pathetic. DVD Player can't decode the LFE channel and send it out to headphones or speakers. So you have to use Apple's poor little EQ thats built-in to DVD player. All that does is artifically pump up the bass that would have been sent to the two front speakers. With my HP's headphone out and WinDVD decoding the LFE channel, my A500s rumble just as low as the 12" subwoofer I have hooked up to my home entertainment system.

The original poster really needs to reconsider the iMac purchase. It will be a disappointment once the honeymoon and "wow" factor wears off and it's time to get down and dirty with the system.

The only reason I haven't sold all of my Apple products yet is because I'm hoping Apple will have a quick turn around and stop being so anti-consumer. But we'll just have to see how my current BBB complaint goes.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 34
If you're still on Tiger and use BootCamp, better not upgrade to 10.4.11
wink.gif
Apple - Support - Discussions - BIG issues with 10.4x software update ...

Only way to fix the problem is to completely wipe the drive.

And since BootCamp is no longer available for Tiger..........

Nov 27, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #19 of 34
MoSXS, all I can say about your experience is I'm not quiet sure what group you fall in if windows has crashed on you only a handful of times since win 3.0. And that my family, friends and I are another happy mac group. I don't have outbound connection issues, and the firewall works pretty well (okay, leopards one still needs some polishing).. but I've been on os X for a year now with no antivirus, and no viruses either.. actually.. nobody I know has either, either
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, not everyone has the best experience but the people with problems are the ones you hear most. I, for one, am still a happy camper that has found open source software for almost everything I need, loads of good freeware too. Almost anyone doing stuff professionally is going to have to buy a pro app somewhere along the line anyway.. and almost every audiophile will use an external dac of sorts in any case.. since it wont be portable either, who cares then? its a non issue. Oh.. and VLC is actually considered one of the best media players. It works great for me.

Nov 27, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes is a resource hog, so I would echo the suggestion for 2 gigs of ram (or more if you got the scratch.)

(I am assuming iTunes would be your player of choice on a mac, but others would be better to comment here)

Huh!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You comment about iTunes, to a Mac OS X user, but you obviously have no relevant experience. Cause iTunes on MS Windows is not as well polished as the Mac OS X version.

Nov 27, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, respectfully, completely disagree with you.

I'm typing from a MacBook right now, and have had zero problems with it. It stays up 24/7 without fail. Still haven't had an Apple product fail on me and I've owned various models since... oh, 1983 or so. Still keep a SE/30 and a IIfx around for fun. No problems with those, either. My whole family, extended family included, runs Macs without trouble. And that's going back 20+ years.

OS X is a huge advantage over Windows. It does not crash. Neither does Linux, for that matter. By the way, I'm one of those Linux zealots, too. I had some trouble with System 7.0 back in the day (the disappearing files were a bear, and I still much prefer 6.0.8 on the vintage machines) but nothing much with OS X. Nor RedHat/Fedora since I started using RH 7.3 some time ago. Anyway, my Macs stay up for years and I'm about to clock 36 months of uptime on my Fedora machine. I have to use XP, SP2 at work. I measure its uptime in hours. No joke. At least one freeze or crash per day. Nothing personal or philosophical against Microsoft, but, in my experience, Windows is not ready for a production environment. I can't tell you how much work I've lost and how many extra hours clients have paid for because of its instability. When a really important project comes down the pipe these days, I bring the MacBook in to work because I trust it. Haven't missed a deadline yet, thanks to Apple.

Lack of utilities? Would you please provide some examples of the nickel and diming? I haven't seen it. I generally use open source software and have been able to find what I need for free. Can't comment on Windows, as I only use it at work. But I've never had trouble finding OSS Mac (or Linux) utilities.

I don't have any trouble with the Mac sound system, either. When I do needledrops, I generally run them through an ADC before getting to the Mac, but that's been trouble free and I quite like the sound. That's my opinion, of course, but I like what I hear.

As for DVDs, there are other players available. Free ones, at that. You don't have to use the one it comes with. Though the included one is fine by me, but that's only for plane trips and hotel rooms. Any serious watching is done on a TV set. If you use a different configuration, well, maybe it doesn't work for you. However, I've been pleased with playback so far.

That doesn't appear to be a PC hate, that seems to be a windows hate.

FWIW, a PC running Linux will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper with same general specs as any Mac and be tons more reliable to boot. I'ma linux zealot too...I'm just stuck having to use PC cause of the webdesign thing. I'm too used to Flash 8 and Dreamweaver. Aside from that, I like the idiot mentality of .exe files of just double clicking and being good to go.

If I had a second machine, it'd be a powerhouse Linuxbox for sure, but atm, I'm a broke SOB.

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using OS X since March, upgraded to Leopard the day it came out. Since March I have had OS X crash 5 times. One time it crashed while I was trying to burn a DVD of data. All I did was right click > New Burn Folder then I dragged the files over to the folder. I clicked "Burn" and put the DVD in that it asked for. System locked up.

You're lucky. I've had mac os x crash on my about 20 times in my two years of doing work with macs. They are not stable. Not by a long shot. Anyone who says otherwise isn't doing anything with them. For example, Compressor just had an auto-update that actually broke the whole program.

I've had macs crash when having multiple programs open (fcp, photoshop, ae etc) and doing intensive work. And the only resolution is a hard boot. That's ridiculous. My home pc has been running weeks without any rebooting and it's fine. 8-core mac pro at work has crashed four times just last week. It's just...not stable. And it's not the only one. Previous G5 machines were just as bad.

And what the hell is up with its network managing? If I turn network off with a drive open through the network it will take OS X about five minutes to even do anything. It locks itself up completely. And its absolutely funny when I create new files, but Finder doesn't see them! It just decides "hmm, I will not see these new files in this folder". Only way to cure is to relaunch finder. Buggy piece of...

I just continually find it weird that Apple fanatics keep bringing up the "os x is stable" card. It's not. And it's not just me.

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by etemkin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent, so there's no real difference in hardware in the audio signal path? Also, does one run quieter than the other?
Thanks,
ET

The iMac is quieter overall, it hardly ever makes any noise. As for sound output, I have noticed static from time to time coming from my iMac.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 28, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're lucky. I've had mac os x crash on my about 20 times in my two years of doing work with macs. They are not stable. Not by a long shot. Anyone who says otherwise isn't doing anything with them. For example, Compressor just had an auto-update that actually broke the whole program.

I've had macs crash when having multiple programs open (fcp, photoshop, ae etc) and doing intensive work. And the only resolution is a hard boot. That's ridiculous. My home pc has been running weeks without any rebooting and it's fine. 8-core mac pro at work has crashed four times just last week. It's just...not stable. And it's not the only one. Previous G5 machines were just as bad.

And what the hell is up with its network managing? If I turn network off with a drive open through the network it will take OS X about five minutes to even do anything. It locks itself up completely. And its absolutely funny when I create new files, but Finder doesn't see them! It just decides "hmm, I will not see these new files in this folder". Only way to cure is to relaunch finder. Buggy piece of...

I just continually find it weird that Apple fanatics keep bringing up the "os x is stable" card. It's not. And it's not just me.

I have never had anything like that happen. Only a handful of hardware problems over the years but OSX has always been stable for me.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 34
My brother does IT work for alot of business' as he's an independant contractor.

He's told me on numerous occasions the Mac OS is no more stable than a PC OS, especially under network/heavy network conditions. He told me it really depends on how everything is configured on how well it'll run. If a dumbass set up your computer, it will run like a dumbass. If you want to look at it from that perspective, the majority of PC illiterate people own PCs, and lok at how some of thier boxes are running, lol.

Although Macs may work great when you have thousands of dollars poured into the machine (Hollywood video editors using Final Cut Pro/machines with ONE mission in mind), but for otherwise broad usages, a PC is still king, as evidenced by News networks still using PC to edit thier videos and segments in real time.

I still like neither....

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #28 of 34
I was wondering that too =) I wasn't intending to stir up this debate, nor am I carrying any "Mac is better than PC" sentiment. I've read fairly extensive arguments from all sides, both here and elsewhere and I'm pretty convinced getting a Mac is what I want to do now. I've used Windows machines my whole life, and haven't been particularly disappointed or enamored with the system. But, I have several colleagues who sing the praises for their Macs (as well as a couple who curse them), so I wanted at some point to give Apple a try for myself and see what I think. There are a few reasons I think now is a good time to do this: first, Vista hasn’t exactly been well received across the board, and while I have no personal reason to dislike it, I think it an okay statement to make to Microsoft with my money that not releasing better products will cause you to lose customers (not that my money really matters to them…). Second, I’m eager to start with several multimedia-intensive adventures, both with audio listening/recording and photography, realms where the Apple system has largely been regarded to shine (don’t interpret that I’m saying more than Windows/Linux, just saying that Apple can certainly carry their weight in these areas). Third, and least importantly, I’m a sucker for sleek design, and the Apple hardware seems to win out in this area for now. So, with a new computer purchase imminent on my personal calendar, the stars seem in alignment for me to try a Mac. I’m fully willing to accept I may hate it – but I also may love it, and this is how I’m aiming to find out. Can’t we all just get along?

Nov 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #29 of 34
i have found for my needs it handles the audio just fine if you use a good
set of phones or the optical out to the hi-fi or like i am doing send it
wireless to an airport express then optical out to hi-fi from any room in
my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back