iMac USB vs Optical Audio
Apr 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gabe-kai

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Right now I'm going from a late 2011 iMac -> usb -> Modi 2u -> Vali 2 -> Senn HD6 Mix

I'm considering buying the optical cable but wonder if anybody else has done this and noticed any significant change in sound quality.

Edit: spelling & grammar.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Generally speaking optical should always be the better option technically, some people disagree saying USB reclockers and conditioners close the gap or even beat optical when used as USB generally supports higher rates and is generally more widespread.

Traditionally imacs (or for that matter anything using laptop parts) is noisier internally than the alternatives. Which is why for older devices or laptops I suggest optical or USB treatment over plain USB.

May 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #4 of 5
I've received and have been using the optical cable for about a week now. A few things immediately changed, I've attempted to list them in order of importance:
  • I no longer get static in my sound when my external (USB3) hard drive is plugged in.
  • My computer fan does not turn on when playing HD tracks.
  • Software volume controls are disabled when the optical audio cable is plugged in.
  • Small overall improvement in sound quality.

The static from the hard drive was a big issue. I'd previously been simply unplugging my backup drive when I was listening to music or playing a game. This alone makes the cable worth the money.

I anticipate that the computer would be working less using the optical cable, although it makes sense in hind-sight. This small general improvement in game performance while listening to HD audio is an unexpected bonus.

The software volume controls getting disabled is actually a bit of an inconvenience, not a big one, but having to move the AMP into arm's-reach so I can turn the volume knob is worth it for the above improvements.

Finally, the general sound quality improvement aside from the USB and fan is actually pretty minimal. I can find it when I listen for it, but I wouldn't notice it under normal circumstances.

I hope this ends up being helpful to someone else weighing the USB vs Optical decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back