iMac + turntable setup
Nov 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audi0n00b

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question but I am an audio noob.  So right now I have an iMac 27" connected to my Mackie Hr824's, I also have the Sennheiser hd25's.  I was thinking of getting an ext DAC like the fiio E7+E9 combo to increase the sound quality of my music.

However, now I am looking to purchase a vintage turntable to play some of the LP's I have purchased.  I was wondering instead of the DAC could I perhaps just purchase a stereo receiver instead?  Or should I still get a DAC and run the iMac through the DAC to the receiver.  I know that the turntable would need to be hooked up to the receiver via a phono preamp if the receiver is relatively new.  So basically the question is now that I am looking to hookup the turntable to the Mackie's as well obviously I need a receiver right?  And so do I need the DAC for my iMac or can I just run the music via cable straight to the receiver?  And also I would appreciate any suggestions regarding if I should purchase a vintage receiver to go with the vintage turntable I plan on purchasing?  Also any suggestions on what type of receiver I should get?  My budget is <$200.

Sorry if this was long I would appreciate any help?  Thanks!

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 4
How I'd personally have everything hooked up..

iMac > DAC > (  AUX input via RCA ) Stereo > ( RCA Out Put, probably "pass through" ) > Mackie's. ( This way you can use the built in amp in the Mackies as the volume, and not mess with double amping )

Turntable > Phono Preamp > Stereo. 

While vintage receiver's look really cool, I'm not sure you could find a good one, under $200. I wish you the best of luck on this though.

Hope at least some of this helped. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 4
It may be called something different on the stereo you end up getting, but in short, it allows the signal to go in the stereo and back out of it ( L/R input > L/R output ), with out actually doing anything to the signal itself. Making your stereo a bit like a USB hub. Not sure if that makes much sense. It's kinda early here still..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back