iMac + Studio monitors = static, feedback, buzz! Help!
Dec 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

logitech88

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I need some advice.

Here is my setup:
  1. iMac 27" i7
  2. M-Audio FireWire Audiophile
  3. Pair of Rokit R6 SE G1

The Problem
I just purchased a gorgeous pair of Rockit R6 SE G1's and the M-audio sound card and I've been having some odd interference issues. When I scroll online or perform any gesture on my Mac, I hear some odd electronic feedback of the action.

There is a permanent buzz/hiss coming through the monitors at all times, and I'm forced to keep the levels very low to avoid my music being overtaken by the buzz. The Rockit's are plugged in via a quarter-inch balanced cable, into the RCA output on the on the M-Audio sound card, an unbalanced sound card.

While plugging my iPod directly in to the KRK's, the sound is FLAWLESS, no hiss, buzz, no problems at any level of volume. The problem only presents itself when connected to the iMac. When I plug my Shure SRH-840's into the headphone output on the M-Audio, I hear no problems at all.

What I've tried
  • Purchased new cables, this time RCA to RCA. Problem worsened.
  • Tried running the KRK's through a totally different Native Instruments DJ sound card and a new quarter inch connection Y cable. Problem worsened.
  • Plugged the entire set up into a different power bar, different room. No difference.

Any suggestions? I love the KRK's but this buzz is killing me and ruining the accuracy and clarity of the audio! I'm looking into power conditioning solutions now. Any other words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 23, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 5

Interesting...I have a 27" iMac and Rokit R6 powered speakers as well and had the same noisy problem you have now.  The easiest fix for this was to purchase an inexpensive  Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface.  This instantly cured my noise issue with my Mac!

arftech

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster! I need some advice.

Here is my setup:
  1. iMac 27" i7
  2. M-Audio FireWire Audiophile
  3. Pair of Rokit R6 SE G1

The Problem
I just purchased a gorgeous pair of Rockit R6 SE G1's and the M-audio sound card and I've been having some odd interference issues. When I scroll online or perform any gesture on my Mac, I hear some odd electronic feedback of the action.

There is a permanent buzz/hiss coming through the monitors at all times, and I'm forced to keep the levels very low to avoid my music being overtaken by the buzz. The Rockit's are plugged in via a quarter-inch balanced cable, into the RCA output on the on the M-Audio sound card, an unbalanced sound card.

While plugging my iPod directly in to the KRK's, the sound is FLAWLESS, no hiss, buzz, no problems at any level of volume. The problem only presents itself when connected to the iMac. When I plug my Shure SRH-840's into the headphone output on the M-Audio, I hear no problems at all.

What I've tried
  • Purchased new cables, this time RCA to RCA. Problem worsened.
  • Tried running the KRK's through a totally different Native Instruments DJ sound card and a new quarter inch connection Y cable. Problem worsened.
  • Plugged the entire set up into a different power bar, different room. No difference.

Any suggestions? I love the KRK's but this buzz is killing me and ruining the accuracy and clarity of the audio! I'm looking into power conditioning solutions now. Any other words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 5
so the rokits and the IMac are plugged in the same power bar?

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #4 of 5

I tried using two seperate power sources for each and the problem remained.  My iMac was generating this issue but all is well now after I bought the Behringer...it went away.  The Behringer was around $30 or so.  Try Amazon.

arftech

Quote:
so the rokits and the IMac are plugged in the same power bar?

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 5
Fixed the problem!

I bought a cheap power bar, broke off the third grounding plug, and plugged ONLY my iMac into it, keeping the speakers on a different power bar.

Worked like a charm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back