iMac Question
May 16, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 24
Honestly, when I bought the firepod, I overbought.
I only record every couple months or so, it never even stays hooked up.
It's for an entire band, or an entire set of drums.
I wanted the ability to expand, but I only need 2 inputs, and I usually only use one at a time.
As far as listening via the firepod, I never thought of that. I dont see there being a benifit over 1/8" jack, but am I missing something?
I mean there is no amplification, nor DAC's, so it would just act as a switch between the monitors/cans, correct?

May 16, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surgical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, when I bought the firepod, I overbought.
I only record every couple months or so, it never even stays hooked up.
It's for an entire band, or an entire set of drums.
I wanted the ability to expand, but I only need 2 inputs, and I usually only use one at a time.
As far as listening via the firepod, I never thought of that. I dont see there being a benifit over 1/8" jack, but am I missing something?
I mean there is no amplification, nor DAC's, so it would just act as a switch between the monitors/cans, correct?

the Firepod has a DAC and it has a Headphone Amp with volume control! it's has a 1/4" headphone output but I dunno if you bought your MS-1's terminated in 1/8th or 1/4"(you can order the MS-1's with either). if 1/8th I think the MS1's come with the Grado 1/8th to 1/4" adapter. your Rokits are Active and the Firepod has balanced outputs for the Rockets which is a much better connection than the 1/8 jack on the iMac.

I really know very little about this but if ya want to downsize you can always get a Firewire version(since you prefer Firewire) of something like the EMU 0404 USB DAC and then get a portable headphone amp for your iPod.

I would try and learn more about what your already have before you do anything. compare the MS-1's coming out of the Firepod to the iMac. get the interconnects that you need and compare the Rokits coming out of the balanced outputs on the Firepod compared to the 1/8th jack on the iMac. you may be surprised at what you already have.

Firepod specs
TRS Output Impedance................51Ohms
TRS Main Outputs Impedance.....................51 Ohms
TRS Cue Outputs Impedance......................51 Ohms
Headphone Output...................150mW/Ch 20Hz-20kHz
Phantom Power.................................... 48V +/- 2V
Power Supply..........................Ext line Transformer, Internal Switching
Analog to Digital Converters..........................24-bit / up to 96khz
ADC Dynamic Range.....................107db
DAC.............................24-bit / up to 96kHz
DAC Dynamic Range..............................110db
IEEE1394 Speed..........................400mbps

May 16, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #18 of 24
good catch, you know more about my gear than I do.
cool.gif

I didnt realize its capability because I bought it for a totaly different purpose!
Thanks, and I guess I will hang on to what I have....just need to find a decent way to keep it hooked up on a permanent basis!

May 16, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

good catch, you know more about my gear than I do.
cool.gif

I didnt realize its capability because I bought it for a totaly different purpose!
Thanks, and I guess I will hang on to what I have....just need to find a decent way to keep it hooked up on a permanent basis!

I hope I was of some help. I do not have expereince with these type interfaces but I have looked at them. I'd give anything to hear your setup, I dig the Rokits! I looked at getting some cheaper 4 1/2 Rolands with built in DAC to hook up to me iMac via the Optical output but it just did not give me the SQ I already had with me NAD/ Polks.

witht that Firepod you are getting your signal out of your iMac before its converted over to analog. that alone should imporve the SQ of your Rokits and MS-1's. then I think your best bet is to get some 1/4" TRS interconnects to hook up your Rokits as balanced. I would give what ya have a whirl before I sold the Firepod to do anything else.

you should be able to set things up so you can keep it hooked up full time.

I actually have me NAD receiver sitting on a shelf above me iMac by about 5 " and then me Polks are out to the side of me iMac on some homemade speaker stands made from the thinner 5 gallon beer kegs filled with sand and then weights sitting on me speakers. I bet I easily got over 80 pounds at each speaker.

all me wires come down a hole/ slot in the back of the shelf and drop out of sight behind me iMac. only those few inches of wires actually show.

good luck and let us know how it sounds.

May 16, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope I was of some help.

You were, for sure! Thanks!
I didnt realize the capability of the firepod...and I am usually good at stuff like this!
I bought it specifically for INPUT with the possibility of future expansion, but never considered it for output! I totally overlooked its capability!

The monitors are nice... A very simple solution to a mess of wires and devices and such. For what I paid, they are well worth it. Monitors are a set-it-and-forget-it type solution for the average wannabe audiophile like myself.
eek.gif

If you have a guitar center near you they have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. May be worth checking out if you are interested!

May 16, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #21 of 24
x3 on the 0404
biggrin.gif

I have the same KRK monitors that you have connectet to a EMU 0404 USB then to my MAC PRO.

Superb sound an you can use the balanced outputs from the KRK to balanced inputs on the EMU 0404 USB.

No idea to use unbalanced if you get the 0404 !

If your out for improving the quality, this is the way to go over the built in soundcard !

May 16, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #22 of 24
^^Thanks GTBM (dont you just LOVE the white finish?) and everyone else a ton....

I just picked up the iBasso T1 from a member here for portable use, and am going to mess with the firepod at home for now....
The 0404 will be a good possiblity once I get my second iMac and my dedicated critical listening/recording room built in my basement.

May 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

The monitors are nice... A very simple solution to a mess of wires and devices and such. For what I paid, they are well worth it. Monitors are a set-it-and-forget-it type solution for the average wannabe audiophile like myself.
eek.gif

If you have a guitar center near you they have a no questions asked 30 day return policy. May be worth checking out if you are interested!

yeah, I'm very much still interested in getting a set of monitors. I dig these KRK Rokits and I just may look into them down the road. I got to figure oout what kind of system I want to end up with down the road and work towards it. for now me NAD/ Polks work well hooked up to me MicroStack and iMac.

I decided to go back to Presosnus site and the FireBox looks to be a smaller version of the FirePod. it's a nice little unti!

have you got your MS1's yet and had a chance to hook the FirePod back up with the Rokits setup as Balanced now?

May 20, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #24 of 24
If you do go that route, check out the M-Audio's as well. IMO they sound better for just a tad more. We ONLY went with these because they matched perfect and they were a limited edition.
The firebox is nice too! I have used it with success recording, the Firepod just allows for more headroom.

As for the MS-1's I did get them Friday. I do have everything up and running but I have been messing with my mobile setup all weekend....getting it perfect.
I dont have much seat time with the firepod but I will say there is definately an improvement over how I had it hooked up! I will provide more details once I do a lot more listening, and get the cans broken in.
I cant thank you enough for pointing out what I should have already known! Who knows how long it would have taken me to find, if ever! HA!
EDIT: I hear you on the NAD/polks. I bet that sounds nice. I have the Polk RM-7600 (W/650 sub) sub/sat system with a Denon AVR3803 in my living room..I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back