iMac and Denon AH-D2000 - Can I improve the listening experience for £400?
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jga01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Incidentally if you google "v-dac vs dacmagic site:www.head-fi.org" and check out the what hifi reviews of the v-dac and dacmagic, those are quite telling. I don't greatly respect the views of what hifi tbh, but they did favour the dacmagic, and additionally raised the concerns about the v-dac that lead me to believe they wouldn't go well with the Denons. I'd be curious to hear the opinion of someone who's used both with the Denons.

I am using one now to run my D7000s and can say the improvement in sound quality it has brought about is fantastic.

Fantastic compared to...? Did you hear them side by side to decide the DacMagic is better? He did hear both. And there was a DAC group test in an other magazine and the V-DAC won against the DacMagic (but I personally don't believe those reviews)

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #18 of 28
Headphoneaddict, do you think a Pico on its own would sound better with the D2000's or a desktop setup with the EF-1 and maybe a ~200 DAC such as the Valab DAC or Keces. If the EF-1 drops down to $299 again it would put a setup like that within $500 USD price range of a new Pico.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #20 of 28
Well.. I've just got my wallet out and have put in my order for the Pico USB DAC/Amp! (Including P+P to UK it came to £375 straight from headamp.com)

I was contemplating just getting the Pico DAC (which Justin mentioned in an email should be shipping at the end of March) and saving for a separate amp to go with it, but I think I've made the right choice with the combined Pico.

Many thanks to all for help and suggestions! Can't wait to get it now..

atsmile.gif

iMac > Pico USB DAC/Amp > Denon AH-D2000

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by phildawson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well.. I've just got my wallet out and have put in my order for the Pico USB DAC/Amp! (Including P+P to UK it came to £375 straight from headamp.com)

I was contemplating just getting the Pico DAC (which Justin mentioned in an email should be shipping at the end of March) and saving for a separate amp to go with it, but I think I've made the right choice with the combined Pico.

atsmile.gif

I think you made a good choice (I used to own one, and now I am waiting for the DAC-only version).

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #22 of 28
I was also trying to work out the best way to slowly upgrade without having to fork out again too. The logical progression I can see is:

iMac > Pico USB DAC/Amp > Denon AH-D2000 (markl Mod ~£100)
iMac > Pico USB DAC/Amp > HEAD-DIRECT EF1 (£205 on special / £270 full) > Denon AH-D2000 (markl Mod)

Then maybe some pimpin..

Denon AH-D2000 (markl Mod) + (Jena Cable/Furutech jack)
Denon AH-D2000 (markl Mod) + (Jena Cable/Furutech jack) + (Custom cups)

I better get saving again.. lol

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Can't wait to get it now..

atsmile.gif

That my friend is the killer...
biggrin.gif
Congrats!

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jga01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I did not have the opportunity to compare side-by-side but I think I made the best decision based on the information given to me. I did not find a single magazine review that recommended the V-DAC over the DacMagic. If you have one, please link it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/mus...1/#post5158215

By the way, the Pico is based around the same Wolfson WM8740 chip as the DacMagic, but the circuit design is probably better. FallenAngel posted an internal pic about the DacMagic and wasn't particularly impressed.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/cam...ml#post5239715
HeadphoneAddict compared it to the Pico (used as a preamp to the same amp) and it was inferior even it was running in balanced mode.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphoneaddict, do you think a Pico on its own would sound better with the D2000's or a desktop setup with the EF-1 and maybe a ~200 DAC such as the Valab DAC or Keces. If the EF-1 drops down to $299 again it would put a setup like that within $500 USD price range of a new Pico.

I haven't heard the Valab or Keces, so I don't know about them. The reason I recommended the Pico and Duet for desktop rigs is the DACs are phenomenally detailed and smooth and spacious, and you can always add a better amp to them later and have a very respectable rig. I'm thinking of a rig that is built in stages, and improving as it is expanded, to avoid the same mistakes that I've made in buying everything together so nothing is exceptional due to budget restraints. Then I ended up having to upgrade my DAC and my Amp.

The reason I haven't recommended the Predator yet is because we are discussing desktop setups, not portable. As a portable DAC/amp I picked the Predator over the Pico for it's 2x battery life and the warmer richer lusher sound with my portable phones at the time (RS-1, HFI780, Edition 9, IEM, etc.). But, I like the Pico DAC section more, and sometimes you'll catch me feeding the Pico into my Predator with my laptop. Usually I am feeding the Pico into a $2500 Woo GES maxed with $2000 Stax headphones. Its DAC is that good.

I would also maybe try to get the Pico DAC-only (out next month) with an EF1. The DAC only will be $349 and with EF1 = $748 + shipping. That will be an improvement over Pico only, or Duet only. I expect it will still sound better than a Cambridge DAC Magic, and closer to the Stello DA100 and Apogee mini-dac.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

atsmile.gif

It looks like we are on the same page = Pico now, then add full size amp later if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back