IM716 with Sony NWZ-A816
Jan 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

novasol

Head-Fier
***I already posted this in the headphone forum but I think it is better suited here, considering I'm talking about an mp3 player***

I've been lurking for a while here, and on recommendations ordered a Sony NWZ-A816. From reviews here and on Amazon, it seems the Altec Lansing IM716 would be a good IEM for me....I love a big soundstage, aggressive sound that's in your face.....not laid back I guess. I tend to use EQ's quite liberally. Sorry I may not have all the terms correct, but I'm very new to the world of hi fi phones.

Question is, will the Sony drive the 716's well without an amp? I need portability and will be using this at the gym as well, so no amp. I'll do the pod mod to get the most out of them..I was thinking 47 ohm or less resistors would be OK? I think the impedance is 68 ohm at the HD setting on the IM's..Right?

If not the IM716's, is there any other IEM's that would be better suited to my tastes? A wide soundstage is a paramount to me(which is why I got the Sony)...one where the music seems to be all around..clarity as well...I need clarity and punchiness.

I also don't really want to spend too much considering these are my first IEM's...no more than $70 let's say(the IM716's are $45 right now at Newegg).

Oh yes, I'm also looking for a good pair of earbuds..something I can use walking around good sound quality but not too isolating. I've heard good things about Sennheiser mx500's??

Really open to suggestions here, I need some direction...thanks
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 12
I own an NWZ-S616F which is probably same sounding and I find Shure E4c sounds a tad better with this player then my Ety ER4p. On the other hand I prefer ER4p with my Sony NW-A1000.

Jan 8, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #3 of 12
(Posted on the headphone thread as well)...

Right now, I am listening to the Sony A816 with the im716s (unmodded, with pod set to bass setting. I don't really like the HD setting much, and it will force to you turn the DAP volume higher), and I have the DAP turned up to 27 (out of 30), and it sounds pretty nice. I also have the bass boosted one click with the EQ, but everything else flat. Nice detail, great sound. You will not be unhappy. You will not risk ear damage, even a full sound, which is good.

A couple of things:

1. For tips, I use the Comply short foamies in gray, and they are the perfect comfy fit for my ears (had them from my old Ety ER4P). THe 716s come with Ety black foamies, which are a little to thick for me, and a pair of tri-flanges, which are also good if you can tolerate the invasiveness of a tri-flange.

2. I plan on spending another $40 to get the 716s modded (I am not a DIY person). I hate the stupid pod, as it hangs down and annoys me, plus everyone whose had the pod removed says it's a major improvement. I am also going to go with the 47 ohm mod, as soon as I get the chance to ship them out.

3. Finally, the 716s REALLY sound great amped, even with the A816, which doesn't offer line out. This cuts down on portability, but to me, it's worth it when riding the train, plane, etc. Even a cheap CMOY really helps the 716s shine, and doesn't hurt the Sony DAP either.

On the earbud front, forget the MX400s and get a pair of Yuin PK3s, which are now up to $50, but worth it. Just my view, since I haven't heard the 400s, but you can always search the threads for PK3 opinions. Great little buds, to me, and they match up very well with the A816 (and are easy to drive without an amp).

You won't be disappointed with the 716s, especially at $45, and again, a sparing use of bass EQ boost and they sound great, especially the details from the mids/highs.

Edit: Since I last wrote, I plugged the 716s into the MiniboxR+ with the Sony DAP, and it's really fanother level. But as I said, even without an amp, the 716s sound pretty darn good with the Sony. The ER4Ps, which I had and sold, deliver even less deep bass than the 716s (though Ety makes the drivers for the ALs).

Jan 9, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 12
Awesome, thanks tstarn...

I'll probably get the Im716's since they seem to be such a great deal, but I'm concerned about having to amp them. How do your pk3's stack up to them? Yes, I know they're an earbud, but I need something for walking around/gym as well..I like earbuds for this purpose as they allow external sound in and it isn't so critical that they stay exactly in place like an IEM. I'm concerned that the IEM's won't stay in place as I'm working out.

If the PK3's are 85% of the IM716's unamped, I'd get them instead. If not, I'll get both(use the PK3's for active stuff)..hmmm...what about the Denon AH-C700? Can they be driven unamped? they look good for $100, good reviews, and more comfortable than the Im716's it seems.

I'm not a basshead, but I do want a clean and big soundstage with that wow factor..

Anybody using the Denons with Sony 81x 61x series?

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 12
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome, thanks tstarn...

I'll probably get the Im716's since they seem to be such a great deal, but I'm concerned about having to amp them. How do your pk3's stack up to them? Yes, I know they're an earbud, but I need something for walking around/gym as well..I like earbuds for this purpose as they allow external sound in and it isn't so critical that they stay exactly in place like an IEM. I'm concerned that the IM's won't stay in place as I'm working out.

If the PK3's are 85% of the IM716's unamped, I'd get them instead. If not, I'll get both(use the PK3's for active stuff)..hmmm...what about the Denon AH-C700? Can they be driven unamped? they look good for $100, good reviews, and more comfortable than the Im716's it seems.

I'm not a basshead, but I do want a clean and big soundstage with that wow factor..

Anybody using the Denons with Sony 81x 61x series?

The denons are amazing, you're going to hear some great things about them around here. For 100.00 I think they can't be beat, great bass (not mushy) great slightly forward mids and really clean detailed highs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh and they pair great with the sony, soozieq will tell you!!

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

The denons are amazing, you're going to hear some great things about them around here. For 100.00 I think they can't be beat, great bass (not mushy) great slightly forward mids and really clean detailed highs
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh and they pair great with the sony, soozieq will tell you!!

thanks, just looked at threads on here about the Denons. I think I'll really like the sound signature....a dynamic driver is probably more to my taste. Only thing is, will they stay in at the gym?...I don't want to spend $100 for phones I can't use everywhere...I'd just as soon pick up a pair of IM716's and Pk3's(total $100).

Jan 9, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 12
I briefly owned the Denons and sold them, but they do sound sound excellent. I didn't like the form factor (the metal barrel shapes and the way the wire connected to them) and they are canal phones, not true IEMS (though I did mod them with Shure orange foamies). Anyway, they are a nice match for the Sony DAP, no doubt (are you reading this Sooziq?). But to me, they are not workout phones, too bulky. I think your thoughts on getting the 716s and PK3s makes more sense practically. I kept the Atrios as my main, unamped IEMs, as I found the Atrio sound sig more friendly to my ears. Others have made the move from the Atrios to the Denons, however. So YMMV.

To answer your question about the PK3s, they synergize very, very well with the Sony A816. To me, they are definitely, as you say, at least 75-85 percent of the 716s unamped (but they don't need an amp to max their sound potential). For $50, the PK3 highs are a little "plasticky," as someone described them, but you can EQ the highs a little with the Sony. After some decent burn-in, I think the PK3s are one of the best values around for portable phones, and perfect gym phones. They do have the infamous J-cord, but if you wear the cord around the back of your neck, they stay out of the way. I also use an extension with them when I need more cord length.

If I had to choose between a single pair of Denon C700s for $100, or both the 716s and PK3s for $100, I would definitely choose the latter. In fact, I guess you could say I sort of already did that.

Edit: If I had to choose between the 716s unamped the Denons unamped, however, I'd choose the Denons, because they are efficient enough to reach the sound levels I would want to reach. Not ear-shattering, mind you, but you won't have to turn the Sony DAP's sound to max to hear them (as you will with the 716s unamped).

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I briefly owned the Denons and sold them, but they do sound sound excellent. Anyway, they are a nice match for the Sony DAP, no doubt [size=x-small](are you reading this Soozieq?)[/size]

NO!!!! Of course I am not reading this.

Why would I be reading this? I have so many better things to do, as you can, umm... see
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Question: Who here owns and tried Shure E4c with NWZ-S/A Sony? I find they are by far the best match with the NWZ-S616F.

For reference I actually own a decent number of IEMs:

In order of acquisition:
Shure E2c
Etymotic ER4p/s
Shure E4c
Zen Aurvana IEM (30cdn at BB on sale)
H/K EP720
Ety ER6i

Basically from all those IEMs I find that Shure E4c sounds best with the NWZ-S616F. I also tried UE Triple.Fi with it and didn't find I like the sound signature of that IEM.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 12
This is turning into an interesting thread..what matches well with the s61x and a81x series. Nice

I'm leaning towards the Denons, giving them a good audition, then pick up some IM716's or PK3's depending on my needs..more of an earbud or more of an IEM. Seems like the Denons fall in between, design wise.

The E4C seem to be more neutral, less musical(from the reviews here)..perhaps not to my taste..interesting though that you said they match well with the Sony NWZ series, I also wonder if anyone else is using this combo....

Edited to add: sigseg what didn't you like about the UE Triple.Fi?..man, those are some $$$ phones

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by novasol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is turning into an interesting thread..what matches well with the s61x and a81x series. Nice

I'm leaning towards the Denons, giving them a good audition, then pick up some IM716's or PK3's depending on my needs..more of an earbud or more of an IEM. Seems like the Denons fall in between, design wise.

The E4C seem to be more neutral, less musical(from the reviews here)..perhaps not to my taste..interesting though that you said they match well with the Sony NWZ series, I also wonder if anyone else is using this combo....

Edited to add: sigseg what didn't you like about the UE Triple.Fi?..man, those are some $$$ phones

I really do not like the 'not musical' term. I find Shure E4c pretty musical. The Sony does not need help from equalized headphones so neutral headphones like the E4c sound great with it. As far as Triple.Fi vs anything else it's a matter of taste. I would suggest to try both. Make sure to get a good seal on both IEMs before passing judgment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back