IM716 with Sony NWZ-A816
Jan 7, 2008 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

novasol

Head-Fier
I've been lurking for a while here, and on recommendations ordered a Sony NWZ-A816. From reviews here and on Amazon, it seems the Altec Lansing IM716 would be a good IEM for me....I love a big soundstage, aggressive sound that's in your face.....not laid back I guess. I tend to use EQ's quite liberally. Sorry I may not have all the terms correct, but I'm very new to the world of hi fi phones.

Question is, will the Sony drive the 716's well without an amp? I need portability and will be using this at the gym as well, so no amp. I'll do the pod mod to get the most out of them..I was thinking 47 ohm or less resistors would be OK? I think the impedance is 68 ohm at the HD setting on the IM's..Right?

If not the IM716's, is there any other IEM's that would be better suited to my tastes? A wide soundstage is a paramount to me(which is why I got the Sony)...one where the music seems to be all around..clarity as well...I need clarity and punchiness.

I also don't really want to spend too much considering these are my first IEM's...no more than $70 let's say(the IM716's are $45 right now at Newegg).

Oh yes, I'm also looking for a good pair of earbuds..something I can use walking around good sound quality but not too isolating. I've heard good things about Sennheiser mx500's??

Really open to suggestions here, I need some direction...thanks
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 3
Right now, I am listening to the Sony A816 with the im716s (unmodded, with pod set to bass setting. I don't really like the HD setting much, and it will force to you turn the DAP volume higher), and I have the DAP turned up to 27 (out of 30), and it sounds pretty nice. I also have the bass boosted one click with the EQ, but everything else flat. Nice detail, great sound. You will not be unhappy. You will not risk ear damage, even a full sound, which is good.

A couple of things:

1. For tips, I use the Comply short foamies in gray, and they are the perfect comfy fit for my ears (had them from my old Ety ER4P). THe 716s come with Ety black foamies, which are a little to thick for me, and a pair of tri-flanges, which are also good if you can tolerate the invasiveness of a tri-flange.

2. I plan on spending another $40 to get the 716s modded (I am not a DIY person). I hate the stupid pod, as it hangs down and annoys me, plus everyone whose had the pod removed says it's a major improvement. I am also going to go with the 47 ohm mod, as soon as I get the chance to ship them out.

3. Finally, the 716s REALLY sound great amped, even with the A816, which doesn't offer line out. This cuts down on portability, but to me, it's worth it when riding the train, plane, etc. Even a cheap CMOY really helps the 716s shine, and doesn't hurt the Sony DAP either.

On the earbud front, forget the MX400s and get a pair of Yuin PK3s, which are now up to $50, but worth it. Just my view, since I haven't heard the 400s, but you can always search the threads for PK3 opinions. Great little buds, to me, and they match up very well with the A816 (and are easy to drive without an amp).

You won't be disappointed with the 716s, especially at $45, and again, a sparing use of bass EQ boost and they sound great, especially the details from the mids/highs.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 3
I found the stock IM716 anemic with my iPod Touch. But then when I did a podectomy, the head room increased a bit, sound was much more spacious and detailed, bass had become tighter and extended low. I used 47 ohm resistors. I also retained the pod case for ease of tweaking/repairs.

I find the bass still wanting. The Audio Technika IEMs and Crossroads X3i drive much lower. However, bass with the IM716 is much more defined and not muddy. It is alos much more detailed across the band. I suspect sound will improve more with a good amp. But pretty decent without one.

If you want more headroom and bass you can use lower impedance. But bass might become boomy and muddy. You might lose some air and details too.

The best approach is to leave the mod "tweakable" until you are happy with the resistors. Then seal it up. Sources vary as well as personal preferences so it is best that you try for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back