iM716 Filter mod
Jul 1, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LWLew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you prefer the sound without the foam, you could try a piece of nylon stocking stretched over the barrel openings. They can be held in place with whatever tips you are using. This will at least keep some junk from going into the canal channels of the im716.

I did something similar, but used the material from a Tea Bag as the filter. I just cut a small square, put it over the opening and used the tips to keep it in place. The sound may be a bit bright for some people, but I kinda like it. Perhaps if the sound is a bit too bright, the material can be folded over a few times until a good sound is obtained.

Aug 22, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #17 of 23
@theory_87: Hey man thanx a lot for this... i ran out of filters and was wondering what could be done... and since i live in India where this product is not available at all i would've really been in trouble if not for this.
@phyrefly: really good idea about the pad from headphones... im using just that and it sounds almost like the default filters

Now what i found out was that the filter removal tool was really useful in getting the foams in. Just put the foam in place and twirl the tool with it's pointy end over the nozzle... and the foam goes in quite easily then. And removing them is quite easy with a pin... so there u go my 2 cents.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 23
imo it is too hard to get the right amount of foam in each barrel, minor changes in amount and density of foam affect the sound, and can lead to inconsistancies between the ears and also not the ety sound i want. I want the treble sparkle and upper mid drum tightness and realism with the neutral mids and not overly warm mids. with foam i can only get one or the other.

since altec doesn't carry their regular filters anymore, and i've heard er4 filters are not the same, what filters ARE the same? i've heard UM2's, although they sound very different, use the same filters but can't find the thread anymore.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

since altec doesn't carry their regular filters anymore, and i've heard er4 filters are not the same, what filters ARE the same? i've heard UM2's, although they sound very different, use the same filters but can't find the thread anymore.

ety8 filters are the same Etymotic Research, Inc. - ety8 Accessories
BTW I tried various types of foam including some of the inner foam inserts of the akg k81dj and non of them sounded as good as with real filters

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #20 of 23
someone linked me to im716 filters on ety's site:
Etymotic Research, Inc. - Altec Lansing im616 and im716 Accessories

They look exactly the same but have different model numbers or whatever.

I am going to give foam one last shot by removing the orange part - if it is anything like the kramer mod for the E2C's, it could be real good not forcing the soudn through the narrow red tube. Also, it would be easier to get the right amount of foam density in both tubes with a larger area.

Assuming by the pictures, the filters do include the red plastic tube in addition to the thing on the end, right? So by removing mine, I am not screwed?

In addition, are the filter removal tools useful or can i use a regular pick, exacto knife, or shure filter cleaner?

Oct 9, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 23
wow so i removed the red tubes and put a little foam in there and the results are awesome!

I don't have anything to A/B against but I am going to borrow a friends set of unmodified im716's and my other cans but compared to what i heard earlier from im716s the low end came out by removing the low end. and not just like adding more foam - its not midbass, its tight accurate, extensive low end. I guess the plastic absorbed some of the low frequencies.

In addition, the sound is also much more airy than with the tubes and the drums are so defined and punchy. Hiromi Uehara's Dancando No Pariaso sounds so live and amazing.

It sounds like a combination of airyness, extension, tight drums like i'm there with a low end and a little warmth in the mids. Basically, I feel it combined the best of both worlds from no foam and too much foam. with more area and not a tiny opening, its a lot easier to get the amount of foam right. Again maybe I'm just excited but I will compare it with others later..

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #22 of 23
Ety-8 filters are identical to the ones they used for the im716. I tried the foam, didn't prefer the result. Big change and improvement however with Comply foam tips - the business. Now, if only I had a US rather than Euro spec ipod classic w/o volume limiter - these babies are insensitive. I guess the option for this is to get one of those pocket dock things with line out - hey, I've found a use for the im716's volume pod after all!

Oct 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #23 of 23
Any updates? I have one pair of the red filters left, but will experiment before buying any more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow so i removed the red tubes and put a little foam in there and the results are awesome!

I don't have anything to A/B against but I am going to borrow a friends set of unmodified im716's and my other cans but compared to what i heard earlier from im716s the low end came out by removing the low end. and not just like adding more foam - its not midbass, its tight accurate, extensive low end. I guess the plastic absorbed some of the low frequencies.

In addition, the sound is also much more airy than with the tubes and the drums are so defined and punchy. Hiromi Uehara's Dancando No Pariaso sounds so live and amazing.

It sounds like a combination of airyness, extension, tight drums like i'm there with a low end and a little warmth in the mids. Basically, I feel it combined the best of both worlds from no foam and too much foam. with more area and not a tiny opening, its a lot easier to get the amount of foam right. Again maybe I'm just excited but I will compare it with others later..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back