im70 vs woody fx850
May 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

surge

100+ Head-Fier
finally got my hands on the jvc fx850. i have the im70 and really enjoy the sound. Coming from jvc xt90,heir 5.0, shure 846 and aurisonic asg2(n jh16 universal which i didnt own but borrowed), i finally kept the im70. thats how much i loved the im70. after listening for more than a month...the mids still get me sit back and say i really love this...esp when the subbass started kicking in in the background. being extremely sensitive to the ssssibilant(heir5.0 shure 846, jh16 are considered sibilant, asg's bass sounds rude and rowdy).

after much seraching, i have come to the conclusion that if you want more details, the sibilance will start kicking in...its a package deal. i settle for im70 for the lush and intimate mids and good sub bass though it lacked detail. (btw sennheiser's IE8 was one of those w great mids n bass n no sibilant, just that the tiny IEM is too light for my big ears and keeps falling off. however it sounded too warm and my wife thinks its crazy to spend this kind of money for earphone)

then came the fx850. after reading the discussion and have own the xt90 dual dynamic, i am convinced that jvc has done it again. with my wife's approval, i quickly grab a pair when i have a chance before she changed her mind.

though i have just listened to the 850 for 2 days, (yes...i know the repeated reminder of burning them in.) i can say that 850 beats im70 in subass and details. there is just so much more. in terms of mids, both sounded great but 850 is much warmer. both have NO sibilance at all. for im70, it was easier to understand...cut down the treble by pushing it back (therefore removing a fair bit of details) to tame sibilance. for 850 the details was excellent yet no sibilance. further listening led to the conclusion that actually the sss-sounds are there for e 850, just that they are covered by the warmth of the overall sound, just like the ie8.

most importantly, as i kept listening to the 850, i missed the aw....feeling of listening to the im70 for some vocal favorites even though there is more to listen for the 850. the mids of 70 really draws you in without being overshadowed by lows or highs.

conclusion, im70 is really a very good buy and i am keeping both.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Sound like u did a great deal, so what dac/dap/amp u combine to drive 850?

fiio x3 with flac files amped by RSA tomahawk.

till today, i still keep the im70 even though the 850 bass has tamed a lot after weeks of usage. i like the mids of the im70 alot though its highs are slightly recessed(and cant get my hands on the new cable)...very engaging w good subbass. am using a double flange for the 850 now to put bass back 2 steps and bring mids n treble forward abit. and 4 core silver wire on the way...

last week has been a interesting week...tested noble kaiser, fitear 335dw, 1964 v8s, v6stage, noble 6 as well as tranlucent 1plus2. (ended up getting a v6stage for my niece). after much testing, only 3 sounded 'better' than the 850-fitear, kaiser and v8stage...kaiser and fitear are clearly better than the 850 but at 4x the price. v8stage($x2) had deeper subass and better separation but sounded abit too polite...850 sounded more lively....if i get v8 will still keep the 850 as there arent better or worst but different.

in fact, i found the im70 very much like the v8stage except the highs/bass arent as detailed....law of diminishing returns...v8 is almost 10 times as costly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back