IM616 takes same tips as IM716?
Sep 26, 2006 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

danathom

New Head-Fier
Does anyone happen to know if the Altec Lansing IM616s take the same foamies and/or eartips as the IM716s? It seems obvious that they would, but I'm a little thrown because on the AL site they show different replacement parts for the two. Ie, the filters list both model numbers, but the foamies and eartips don't. Not sure what's different.

The AL ones fit me well enough (well, the flanged ones may be a bit small), I just may want to experiment with some softer ones. From posts I've read here I gather the ones that fit the IM716 (and thus maybe the IM616) are: all the Etymotics except the ER6, all the Shure except the E2, all Westones, and the Complys. Presumably the "roadrunners" from the Ear Plug Super Store (which seem like a good bargain) would, too. The Ultimate Ears won't. Does that all sound right?

Sep 27, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by danathom
... From posts I've read here I gather the ones that fit the IM716 (and thus maybe the IM616) are: all the Etymotics except the ER6, all the Shure except the E2, all Westones, and the Complys. Presumably the "roadrunners" from the Ear Plug Super Store (which seem like a good bargain) would, too. The Ultimate Ears won't. Does that all sound right?

Actually, at the earplug store the Ety foamies are cheaper than the roadrunners (5 pair @ $11 versus 5 pair @ $14).

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 7
It would 'seem' that the iM716 & 616 have the same shell, thus the same extrusion tube for the eartip to fit on. But I am not sure if that is true.

Anyone else?

Sep 28, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

all the Etymotics except the ER6

Is it really true that Ety ER4 tips will fit the IM716? I just got my IM716 today, and looking at their barrels against the ER4 foam tips, I didn't even try to get the Ety foamies on. The tube inside them looks way too small, and is not as flexible as the tube in the IM716's own tips.

Sep 28, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jSatch
It would 'seem' that the iM716 & 616 have the same shell, thus the same extrusion tube for the eartip to fit on. But I am not sure if that is true.

Anyone else?

Yep, same shell. The earpieces are interchangeable, the only difference being that the iM716 tri-flange is gray and the iM616 is white. As far as the "different" foamies on the Altec Lansing site, if you attempt to purchase both of them, you'll find they share the same item #: IM716EARTIPS.

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by epithetless
Yep, same shell. The earpieces are interchangeable, the only difference being that the iM716 tri-flange is gray and the iM616 is white. As far as the "different" foamies on the Altec Lansing site, if you attempt to purchase both of them, you'll find they share the same item #: IM716EARTIPS.

Good info epitheless, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back