I'm worried I'm not getting the best out of my headphones
Dec 4, 2017 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

redryder

100+ Head-Fier
These are my current headphones - Fostex THX00, HD650, and a set of HE4XX coming in the mail.

I am currently using a Samsung Note 8 as my source, and I have a Topping NX4 as a portable DAC/AMP. The amp seems to have enough power to drive the HD650, which is the most demanding headphone of the lot. I listen to a mix of mp3s and lossless audio, and HDtracks that I've purchased.

Having spent so much money on the headphones, naturally I'm worried that they are being limited by other things in my chain like my source or amp. What is the next logical progression for me? DAP? Desktop amp?

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 6
A new desktop amp and DAC, or just amp, would be a good next step. As mentioned, do you have a budget?

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks! Budget would be $300-$400. I was initially looking at the Schiit Magni as a cheap desktop amp but i would need to use a 3.5mm to rca cable, and doubleamping from my phone.
Well in that budget of 300-400 you should really be looking at a dac as well, or a better combo unit. Magni 3/Vali 2 and Modi 2 Multibit is a great combo from what I've heard and should be a significant step up in quality

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I am still waiting for my turn on the idsd nano BL but with the price, it's really something worth to consider; since, its older bother micro BL is an amazing piece of amp. But you can never go wrong with schitt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back