I'm wondering how many other people wear there IEM's while driving?
Dec 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Techno Kid

Headphoneus Supremus
Before all the safety first people come on and say "that's illegal" but really in most all 50 states in the US its legal and I don't see it being any different than listening the a loud car stereo with or without thumping bass or people with headsets talking on the phone.  To me the real danger is people texting but that's a whole different story.  I wear mine a lot and I find that I concentrate more and look in my mirrors more often then when I don't have them on (which is rare) because I know I have to be more alert for emergency vehicles and everything.  I don't have a really good car stereo though mine isn't horrible but with my phone or other pmp and a good pair of IEM's just make the drive that much more enjoyable for me so let me know if you wear your IEM's while driving and be honest about it.

For more about the legality of wearing IEM's / headphones checkout this link, http://lifehacker.com/5902802/ever-wonder-if-its-actually-legal-to-wear-headphones-when-youre-driving

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 27
Go figure the first person to reply to your thread lives in Colorado, where it is actually illegal. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 27
The main reason its illegal in Colorado is because most people wouldn't be able to hear emergency vehicles coming up behind them. Its also slightly illegal here to walk with headphones on as well, some people just get immersed in walked and may walk straight into a busy street without even noticing. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 27
Yeah if I had audio input in my car I'd use that also but I'd still use my IEM's because its just better SQ than my stereo.

When I started to think it might not be illegal anymore is when a cop was right next to me at a light and I have my big azz TF10's in just bobbing my head to the music and the cop didn't even care and was looking right at me.  I drive rght by them and next to them and they don't care at all.  With cell phones and all the headsets and bluetooth ear peaces its just a part of every day driving now so why not IEM's.  I think a lot people still think its illegal and that's why they don't do it because it really is like listening to a loud car stereo.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 27
Yeah if I had audio input in my car I'd use that also but I'd still use my IEM's because its just better SQ than my stereo.

When I started to think it might not be illegal anymore is when a cop was right next to me at a light and I have my big azz TF10's in just bobbing my head to the music and the cop didn't even care and was looking right at me.  I drive rght by them and next to them and they don't care at all.  With cell phones and all the headsets and bluetooth ear peaces its just a part of every day driving now so why not IEM's.  I think a lot people still think its illegal and that's why they don't do it because it really is like listening to a loud car stereo.

When you pull up next to hot chicks at the lights, do you reach over and turn your PMP up that extra notch to grab attention? :D

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
I suppose you guys have never had to honk your horn at someone

For sure I have but unlike the people I honk at that are lets say sitting there during a green light I pay attention when I'm driving, I don't text or anything and when I listen to my IEM's I just hit play on a album an that's it so I'm not searching through my library for a song or anything.

I really don't see it being unsafe as long as you just pay attention to your surroundings like you should when you drive.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:
When you pull up next to hot chicks at the lights, do you reach over and turn your PMP up that extra notch to grab attention?
biggrin.gif

LOL, oh how I did things like that when I was younger with my tricked out 94 Civic that probably did the quarter mile in 16 seconds. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 27
Why not plug your DAP into the car speaker system? AUX input is in most every car these days.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
Why not plug your DAP into the car speaker system? AUX input is in most every car these days.

My 2001 model doesn't have it, and it would cost me $80 to buy an adapter. Besides, it wouldn't sound nearly as good.

I usually only bring along my IEMs for long drives. Haven't encountered any problems yet. I think sight is much, much more important than sound for driving safely.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #12 of 27
My 2001 model doesn't have it, and it would cost me $80 to buy an adapter. Besides, it wouldn't sound nearly as good.

I usually only bring along my IEMs for long drives. Haven't encountered any problems yet. I think sight is much, much more important than sound for driving safely.

the sound is subjective, depends on each car. My car speakers sound pretty good for me.
You can always get a new deck. That's what I always do anyway.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 27
I do since i brought my new car which no audio system installed yet
I installed my old car a decent audio system, so i didnt do it in my old car

But, i think iem are much much cheaper than car audio system
Hehehe thats why i'm selling my old car's speakers, amp, processors, etc
And i have no plan to install my new car a decent audio system
Just install a low end system is enough since i always bring my iems with me

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Exactly, if your paying attention to everything around you you should have no problem at all, I have never missed an emergency coming from behind me while using my IEM's because I see them and even with out them on I see them way before I ever hear them.

Even if I have the sound system that I put in my old Civic I'd still rather listen to my IEM's because like so many car sound systems they're all about bass and they just don't sound good to me anymore.  My friend that put a $4000 system in his car with really good tweeters and mid sized speaker and all he had was one 12 and it still was way to bassy for my liking.  Take out the sub and it sounded much better but still not as good as the sound from a top-tier IEM imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back