I'm very smart - this only took me 2-3 years
Sep 2, 2004 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

recephasan

500+ Head-Fier
Sheesh!

I have been using the ART DIO with the RA-1 amp to power my RS-1, RS-2 and HD-600. I haven't used the RS-1 for the past year. The RS-2 soundstage seemed to be leaning a bit more towards the left. The HD-600 seemed fine with the same gear.

Recently I purchased the Panasonic 430 pdcp and noticed that the RS-2 is left-heavy with those, too. The ETY 4P and cable converted 4S seem less and the Senns even less left-heavy with the 430.
Also, the bias is heavier at lower volumes than at high.

And then I began using my Panasonic SA-HE70 el-cheapo (bought for $150) receiver with digital out from my PC. Finally hooked up the HD-600 and RS-2 to perform a sound test and, ladies and gentlemen...
There is no left bias with the RS-2.

What did I do? Of course, I immediately cursed in 2 languages and then reminded myself that the problem is there with the pdcp, as well.

So, what's going on here?

Theory ONE:
This is one I find less likely: Both my RA-1 and the pdcp are left-biased but this doesn't show on the HD-600 due to wider soundstage.

Theory TWO:
Maybe the RA-1 and the pdcp exhibit this behavior at high(er) current output, which tells me there is a design AND a part matching problem, during manufacturing, of both units.
Also, the fact that the bias is more noticable at lower volumes points further (imho) to a design/parts problem. With the RA-1, this is even more of a problem at the lowest volume settings due to the poor potentiometer cutting the right channel faster than the left.

One thing that bothers me with this theory is that the Panasonic 430 pdcp is supposed to have a digital amp (whatever that means) which is probably solid state, which does not have parts matching problem.
To verify the last conclusion, I went and bought another one of the same pdcp, built one month later (from the sticker under the unit). Same.

ANY IDEAS?

I am happier now that I KNOW (if there is such a thing) there is no bias problem with the RS-2. Better to know my $500 cans are alright than my $280 RA-1 and ~$150 (w/psu) ART.
Plus, I don't think there is any problem with the DIO, either. It just makes the problem more noticable since with the higher voltage output, it makes me listen with the RA-1 set at lower volumes.

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 11
It's been 5 minutes and no reply from anyone! I'm getting aaangryyyy.

Hehe. I guess I'm a little bored at 5:25 in the morning. Never mind this post, folks.
etysmile.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 11
Lol want a reply? Here is one. I'm too tired to even read it. Way too lazy. I only read short posts right now or pictures. The headphones side by side thread is nice..... it makes me drool....... lol....

Cool.... to whatever your first post explained. lol
tongue.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 11
If the volume pot in the RA-1 is bad quality it may track unevenly at lower volumes. The problem vould be less noticable with higher impedance phones like the HD-600 since the volume pot would need cranked up higher to get the same sound level. This could also explain why the problem is more pronounced at lower volumes.

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 11
OT, but if you ever decide to let go of the RS1 let me know . . .

Sep 2, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GainHead
Maybe your hearing is imbalanced.

unfortunately this might be the case. i had a similar experience, feeling there was a left bias to a varying to degree in all of the headphones i tried, in any set up. the problem turned out to be my ears. i'm more optimistic about your situation since you have only noticed the effect when using certain gear.

there is a very easy way to test your ears: just put the headphones on backwards. if the bias is still present with the right channel on your left ear, well... learn to accept your fate
frown.gif
i noticed the effect more on senns than grados. i suspect this is due to a greater mismatch between the senn frequency response and whatever frequencies are being attenuated in my right ear, or cybernetically amplified in my left. you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

i was able to cope with the problem by ending my love-hate relationship with the senns and becoming a full-time resident in grado land, where the music flows without drawing my attention to every little imperfection. good luck getting your problem resolved.

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I guess it was clear from the post but I guess I babbled on too much.

No, it's not my hearing. I did reverse the L-R cups, I did try mono recordings and I did mention in my post that the Senns have less of this effect, it decreases with increasing volume and altogether disappears with the receiver.

And I did write that I think it's the volume pot on the RA-1.
Which doesn't explain why it happens with the pdcp or why it happens more with the RS-2 than with the HD-600.

But then again, I was not expecting magic, so thank you all.

I'll just send the RA-1 to grado and also shop for a pdcp with a nonbiased digital amp.

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 11
rhizome: Sometimes it might also be the listening situation - at least I've found for myself that asymmetrical light sources can shift my channel balance, even when I have my eyes closed... But I've got a slight ear imbalance as well - which usually gets rather noticable, when I've smoked too much: When I've smoked a pack of cigarettes or even more on a single day, my right ear seems weaker overall and develops an oversensitivity to some upper midrange frequencies (~ 2 - 3 kHz) which I perceive as heavy distortion. Aspirin seems to help me in such situations - I guess that's because it's thinning the blood...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Sep 5, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 11
I've also noticed that ever since I worked on lowering my blood pressure (swimming helped a lot) my hearing has gotten much better. I can hear people talking in bars and clubs better and I don't get irritated by high frequencies (with headphones) like I used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back