I'm upgrading my Sennheiser PC 360 headset and I need some help.
Jan 16, 2015 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ovacia345

New Head-Fier
I own the Sennheiser PC 360 for about 2 and a half year's now and I thought it was time for an upgrade.

I came to the conclusion that the AKG K712 Pro suits me the best (great soundstage, low impedance, lightweight). I will be using these primarily for music, but also for gaming and movies. However, they are very expensive. I have a Sound Blaster Zxr soundcard with built-in headphone amp which is going to drive these 'phones easily. I was only wondering if it is worth te money? Is the high price worth it, coming from a Sennheiser PC 360?

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Be careful, the K712 is only 62 Ohms, but the other spec to pay attention to is the sensitivity of 105 dB SPL/1V. Using this calculator: http://www.jensign.com/S4/calc.html that converts to 92.9 dB SPL/mW. So, it's not as easy to get it loud as it might seem. I don't know the Sound Blaster Zxr at all, it could be perfectly fine - I don't know. I just want to make sure you are considering all the factors.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3 of 3
Be careful, the K712 is only 62 Ohms, but the other spec to pay attention to is the sensitivity of 105 dB SPL/1V. Using this calculator: http://www.jensign.com/S4/calc.html that converts to 92.9 dB SPL/mW. (...)

+1

I think SoundBlaster ZXR has the same amp chip as Fiio E09K and Asus Xonar STX (TPA6120).
It has plenty of power, but quite high output impedance (around 10 Ohm).

Shouldn't be a huge problem with 62 Ohm headphones, but it could still change the frequency response of the headphone a little bit here and there.

Those amps are perfectly fine for high impedance headphones like HD600/650 and Beyerdynamics, even for AKG K612 (120 Ohm).

Don't get fooled by the impedance spec, both HD600 and HD650 are easier to drive than K712.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back