I'm totally lost in searching for good headphones
Apr 2, 2010 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dobson

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi, I have been searching for headphones for half a year probably, my head is filled with models and information, also everything is mixed up totally, so as I see there is experienced guys here, I am thinking you may be able to help me.

I think first thing is the price.... Well I'm still in school so I don't have a lot of money, maybe up to 120$.

What I would listen to? A lot of styles of music: mainly rock, jazz, blues, some house... It would be easier to say that I would NOT listen to rap or metal.

I like clear sound, like bright vocals and highs, hate sound "from the bag", also like when there's bass, the bass should be not to strong and not to weak, I don't want bass to flow over vocals, but there should enough, maybe a little bit more...

I don't have a pair of good speakers, so I listen to all my music by headphones, and I listen to it a lot 3-5h a day.

My source would be sansa fuze, and there would be no problem to build Cmoy.

I already picked up few candidates, I don't know if they are right, so you tell me, and offer new ones: Sennheiser HD555, Grado SR80i, also thinked about AD700, but I saw in frequency response graph that bass is really low, and nobody sells them in Lithuania...

Thanks for your help.

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 19
How about the Alessandro MS1 or the Grado SR125i?

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 19
Look into the ATH M50s. Nice bass, clear highs, good mids, and can be gotten on Ebay for less than $100.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Grado SR80i or MS1 given your criterias. I love my SR80i. Ordered some SR225i recently to take it to the next level.

Time to make the move and get the headphones now. Half a year is a long time to search. As mentioned, remember the MAIN point of this hobby...it's to enjoy the music, not to spend months shopping, researching and chatting about it.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 19
Do you need the headphone to be closed, either because you don't want other people to hear the sound of your headphones, or because you want to keep from hearing outside noise?

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 19
I have listened to closed and open cans, and open sounds sooooo much better, in any matter of sound leakage I would choose open ones...

Well what is the difference between grado and allesandro headphones?

And what about soundstage, I've heard that grado leans back in this criteria? How important is this in listening to music, I have hard time imagining how good soundstage should sound...

Apr 2, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 19
Ad700 for great soundstage.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 19
Grado SR60 is for you. It will rock your ears as a beginner audiophile.
valiente-albums-valiente-album-picture5162-user103109-pic3850-1256980313.jpg

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 19
I hate to say it valiente, cause i know you lover your sr60, but if someone's has a budget of 120 dollars, the best beginner grado by far is the MS1. 110 shipped to your door. That sounds to me like the headphone you're looking for.

Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

That's an open phone though, so it will leak sound in/out. not good if you listen mostly on the bus. great at home or quiet though, at least most of the time.

for a closed phone, i'd second the ath-M50. very balanced, detailed, with good bass.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 19
I was in the exact same position as you, same budget, same wants...I bought the Alessandro MS1 after debating for weeks. I am completly happy with them. I will be buying a closed pair of cans in the future, but these are great.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 19
The HD428 is quite versatile burned in. Some find the HD438 (slightly) better but I've never had the pleasure of testing the HD438. The HD428(/438) does love a bit of power yet works fine without amplification.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to say it valiente, cause i know you lover your sr60, but if someone's has a budget of 120 dollars, the best beginner grado by far is the MS1.

Exactly. We know you love your SR60 dude.

As I said, with $120, the SR80i or MS1 depending on your taste in music and sound.

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 19
Hi, bro. I have a Sansa Fuze and a pair of AudioTechnica AD700's. I, personally, don't recommend the combination. While the Fuze can drive them, the AD700's sound a little too bright, perhaps a little bit brittle. They sound much smoother through a tube amplifier - I'm actually not a huge fan of them out of my receiver either.

I think the problem is that the Fuze doesn't deliver a lot of power out of the headphone jack. My iPod video does a better job driving the AD700's. The Fuze is an amazing source for low-impedance low-current headphones like the UE-TF10. It REALLY delivers the goods, but just not with the AD700.

Again, only my experience. I love both products, just not together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back