Im totally confused by it all, keep going round in circles
Jul 28, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But isn't the DT880 sibilant as well?
See for example: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt8...ilance-282419/

No. Not to me.
If you think that the DT880 is sibilant, then the DT990 is like a knife slicing your ears multiple times.
eek.gif

I have compared the DT880 2003, DT880 2005 and DT990 2005 side by side. The DT990 was a nightmare to me...
mad.gif

But that is just me. Everyone's experience will differ depending on song choice, listening volume level, ear shape, source equipment, room temperature, burn in, synergy, geographic location, genetics, mood, clamping force, head shape, etc etc... So...
redface.gif

WRT to the link you posted, the 3rd post in there says it all:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if there's excessive sibilance in a recording, the 880's will always show it. However, they will not put any there that wasn't there in the first place.

I have no problem at all with it.

x2

Jul 28, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 45
The K701 are too refined for your kind of music. They’re the end-of-the-line phone for many people who say "no, not this" to everything else but can't afford to go Stax. Grados are great and excel in everything but sound stage which is not so good for gaming, but if you’re willing to compromise, the SR225 is a good choice and the SR325i is an even better one. The DT880 is an excellent phone but, like the K701, may be too refined for your music. Go with the HD600 with the MKIII amp. It’s a first class combo with very few compromises. To avoid that “if only I had waited” feeling save the Stax for later when you can afford a system based on the SR3030 phones.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K701 are too refined for your kind of music. They’re an end-of-the-line phone for people who say "no, not this" to everything else but can't afford to go Stax. Grados are great and excel in everything but sound stage which is not so good for gaming, but if you’re willing to compromise, the SR225 is a good choice and the SR325i is an even better one. The DT880 is an excellent phone but, like the K701 may be too refined for you music. Go with the HD600 with the MKIII amp. It’s a first class combo with very few compromises. To avoid that “if only I had waited” feeling save the Stax for later when you can afford a system based on the SR3030 phones.

ok thank you thats all i wanted
smily_headphones1.gif

ill try find some hd600's for a reasonable price

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

The K701 are too refined for your kind of music. They’re an end-of-the-line phone for people who say "no, not this" to everything else but can't afford to go Stax. Grados are great and excel in everything but sound stage which is not so good for gaming, but if you’re willing to compromise, the SR225 is a good choice and the SR325i is an even better one. The DT880 is an excellent phone but, like the K701 may be too refined for you music. Go with the HD600 with the MKIII amp. It’s a first class combo with very few compromises. To avoid that “if only I had waited” feeling save the Stax for later when you can afford a system based on the SR3030 phones.

Meant to ask, is the HD595 a good comprise? with a LD MK III?

Its just that the HD600 is like £80 more, which is a huge majority of the cost of a Mk III

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #21 of 45
I you want a good compromise, you might consider the AKG K601 as well. Not too expensive, still great sound.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meant to ask, is the HD595 a good comprise? with a LD MK III?

Its just that the HD600 is like £80 more, which is a huge majority of the cost of a Mk III

I haven't heard the HD595 or the MKIII but I own the HD600 which is said to be a HD595 with different cosmetics. The same is true for the MKIII. I own the MKIV SE so I've been curious how the MKIII compares to the MKIV SE. From what I've read here at HeadFi, I could be very happy with the MKIII and the HD595 combo for the price of the MKIV SE alone.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

I haven't heard the HD595 or the MKIII but I own the HD600 which is said to be a HD595 with different cosmetics. The same is true for the MKIII. I own the MKIV SE so I've been curious how the MKIII compares to the MKIV SE. From what I've read here at HeadFi, I could be very happy with the MKIII and the HD595 combo for the price of the MKIV SE alone.

I think ill get that combo near xmas.

I have been bidding on some DT 770 pro 80ohms. That way when I get the Hd595's and MKIII I will have a decent amp and to very different headphones to play around with. All for the price of some K701's
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #24 of 45
HD600 properly amped is better than HD595, amped or otherwise. It's in a different league. I'd go with the HD595 only if I had a lot of unamped use to consider.

I would second the HD600, but you owe it to yourself to listen to the Stax, and not merely the 2050, but the 005a system as well. It may not look like much (those headphones are tiny and headband is quite flimsy) but believe me it can deliver where it counts. Especially if you want bass, don't want sibilance, and still want as much detail as possible.

So, you've started this the right way - auditioning and using your own ears.

Don't stop. All our blabber is useless next to a good 5 minute listen.

[Edit: though to be fair, for gaming the 005a would be far too uncomfortable, and the soundstage would be too small.]

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 properly amped is better than HD595, amped or otherwise. It's in a different league. I'd go with the HD595 only if I had a lot of unamped use to consider.

I would second the HD600, but you owe it to yourself to listen to the Stax, and not merely the 2050, but the 005a system as well. It may not look like much (those headphones are tiny and headband is quite flimsy) but believe me it can deliver where it counts. Especially if you want bass, don't want sibilance, and still want as much detail as possible.

So, you've started this the right way - auditioning and using your own ears.

Don't stop. All our blabber is useless next to a good 5 minute listen.

[Edit: though to be fair, for gaming the 005a would be far too uncomfortable, and the soundstage would be too small.]

just bought a DT 770 80 ohms of these forums tonight for £60 del inc paypal fees. so these will be used for gaming and im gonna look into a Stax/ Hd600 and decent amp combo in 6 months, but that time I will have some money saved.

Trying to save for a house as well this year
tongue.gif
hhhmmm Stax or a house?

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #26 of 45
Nice, the DT770 is what I use for gaming, though it does need a bit of juice behind it, depending. I find it to have very good positioning in FPS games, which is what I play... or used to play, when I played anything at all that is.

I'd say use the time to set up a Stax audition. Depending on where you live, you may have a Stax dealer nearby. The HD600, meanwhile, is pretty much a fool-proof option; it's a very neutral and natural-sounding headphone that does nearly everything well. A bit like a K701, actually, but fuller, richer, and with a more natural tone.

Alternatively, there are some amazing vintage phones you can get if you're into that sort of thing. They should outperform what you can get now by a good margin. Check out the Stax Lambda (original normal-bias version), Stax Lambda Signature (not Lambda Nova Signature, very different phones!), AKG K340 bass-light (there are different versions out there but the bass-light one is what you want, and it has quite a bit of bass despite being called "bass-light").

This will take time and money to track down, and you honestly never know what you're getting so it could be a risky endeavor. But hey, it's more variables in the equation, and how would I feel if I didn't make life more difficult for everybody
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

I haven't heard the HD595 or the MKIII but I own the HD600 which is said to be a HD595 with different cosmetics.

What? Completely different lines of headphones -> 515/555/595 are low impedence; 580/600/650 are 300ohm. And that's before you search on here and see the tidal wave of opinions on how different they sound--generally the 600 is considered on a whole different level than the 595.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Im looking to buy my first proper headphone set and my very first amp in a couple of months.

I went into my local home audio shop and tried some Grado 225's and some K701's both were amped. The Grado's sounded good but werew really uncomfortable on my massive ears. The K701's wer very comfy and sounded great.

Anyway, I have also read that the K601's, Hd600, Hd650 & BT880 are very good.

I think I will get a Little Dot Mark III if i get one of those headphones.

Now I have just seen the Stax SRS2050 II system for £450 - with this I could buy it and be done with it. I wouldn't have to worry about import taxes, customs or anything.

Im basically looking for something "good" for rock/indie/pop, Movies as well as PC gaming.

My source has already been bought and installed - the Asus Xonar D2 sound card

Please help me, Im totally confused by all this talk of colour, warmth, muddy, etc etc. I have a massive headache now

In addition to everyone else's suggestions and advice, I only have one comment: Don't try to judge headphones while you have a headache.
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

hmmm, how about ethics?

If the vendor's policy is 30-days to return for a refund, no questions asked, I don't see an ethical problem. I'm not suggesting that they be returned for false reasons. There are plenty of vendors out there who take the returns for no more reason than it is within 30 days of the purchase. They save a great amount of overhead and reach a much larger customer base by operating without storefronts all over the world where people can audition the products they sell. Part of the cost of reaching such a large market so efficiently is the small inefficiency of a liberal return policy. They know exactly what they're offering with a 30 day, no questions asked return policy, and they know that some people are actually going to take advantage of it.

Tim

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

hmmm, how about ethics?

This is a flippantly gratuitous comment that just so happens to be self referential.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back