I'm torn...HD650's or SA5000's
May 29, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #31 of 33
I've owned both cans and my vote would go towards the HD600.
tongue.gif
But that's just me. I've never been one for the HD650s sound (always too bassy, warm and veiled sounding to my ears)--the HD600 has most of the refinement of the HD650 but keeps everything else in check (bass is more balanced, tonal character is less warm, more energetic and airy sound). The SA5000 is also nice (very detailed mids, nice neutral tonal character) but has many flaws to my ears (squashed soundstage with subpar instrument seperation, slightly harsh highs, bass isn't as detailed as the mids, and it lacks airyness to the sound--not a surprise since it's a semi-closed design). All are worthy phones but my vote goes to the HD600--it has more of what I love about the Sennheiser sound and less of what I dislike compared to the HD650.

Jun 4, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hmm. I owned the HD600 and loved it, but was getting very curious about different phones, especially the R10/CD3k. I bought the SA5k and liked it a lot, but didn't think it was the perfect phone for me. Soon, I bought an HD650+Zu because I really liked the improved sound over the HD600.

With time, I realized that I enjoyed the Sony signature a lot more, especially once I got my Grace m902. I ordered the Qualia. I found myself not really listening to the HD650+Zu, because while I did think it was better than my HD600+Cardas, there was something I liked more about the HD600. Something about the HD650 made it uninteresting to me. Still, I wasn't listening to either of my Senns, and even though I didn't think they were perfect, I found the SA5k and Qualia were the ones on my head all the time.

I bought the SA3k for kicks, but I didn't think it was in the same league as the HD600. I also picked up an AKG K 1000, and I appreciate why people say that it's the only phone for them. I don't think it is for me, btw.

Soon I realized that I really wasn't listening to my Senns at all. It took a while, but I got really comfortable with the Sony sound. Eventually I sold off the HD650 and gave the HD600 to a friend. I'm not really interested in the R10 now either. I actually really miss the HD600, should have kept it.

Meanwhile, I just borrowed some high-end Grado and find I really enjoy both the PS-1 and RS-1, though I think I'll be sticking to my Sony phones. But I keep on eyeing the for sale forums for these.

Bottom line - stick with your HD580. Your wallet will thank you.
600smile.gif

Best,

-Jason

eek.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #33 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mintyfresh
Breakpoint:

Franz Schubert Symphony Number 8
First Movement-Allegro moderato
Neville Marriner, Conductor
Academy Of St. Martin-In-The-Fields
Recorded London 8/1983 DDD

[SNIP] The SA5K is able to resolve the midrange beautifully but once again, the bass is rolled off and there is a low level boomy sound, and the result is a shrill string section without the entire bass foundation. There is a tendency to increase the volume to attempt to increase the bass output which of course only makes the other ranges too loud. The HD650 resolves the instruments fully; the violin section hovers clearly over a persistent low volume very low bass output by bass strings and drums.

Excellent description and precisely what I experienced when I owned the SA-5000's: rolled off, anemic bass, narrow/thin sound (lacking foundation), shrill upper frequencies, and unnaturally raised timbre across the sonic spectrum. I am listening to HD-650's as I write this post (Dave Holland's Big Band "Overtime") and the presentation is utterly fantastic. Great bass response, clear mid-range, realistic instrument timbre (esp. brass), expansive soundstage, and full/rich soundscape. I don't experience anything like "veiled/warm" with these headphones unless, I suppose, one is comparing them to an extraordinarily bright/harsh alternative.

KenB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back