I'm too scared to get a high end IEM. Help.
Sep 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nothing4me

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have a cheap pair of earphones that came with my phone. They are decent, but I can never really enjoy the music because I have higher end headphones at home. I enjoy my headphones tremendously and wished my earphones were more clearer sounding and with a lot less fatigue.

However, for all my earphones that I have owned, one side has stopped working. But, it has never ever happened to the current earphones that came with my phone because the wire is the perfect length (I never need to shove extra wire in my pockets). My theory is that because the wires are shoved in and bent for a long period of time in my pocket, one side stops working.

I'm trying to find an earphone/IEM that's "the perfect length" and wonderful sounding. I enjoyed the DT990 Pro, HD600, HD650, and LCD-2 a lot, so I am hoping to get something that sounds similar to them (overall, something with good amounts of detail but non-fatiguing). I'm willing to try any IEM as long as it does not require a custom fit.

Thank you.

Edit: Here are the current earphones: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Premium-Stereo-Headset-Packaging/dp/B004PYEEZO

Sep 19, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #3 of 7
If you like the LCD2 sound signature I recommend the GR07 mkII. 

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 7
funny i was the same way. i never even really ventured into the iem sub forum much. but when i really started to hate carrying my grado's to starbux i was looking for some good starter IEMS...luckily i found UE TF10s for an amazing price, and honestly i take them almost everywhere! the only other iems i had were my workout nike vapors. its funny because im actually at starbucks as we speak and i have my grados on and there is so much outside sound that i really wish i did have my IEMs on me.. i would love to isolate out some of this outside noise...

and i suggest finding some good iems with come comply foam tips... great seal and fit without going custom and staying universal 

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 7
Two points to consider:
In general a higher end set of headphones is going to have a better quality cable and jack, so should be tougher and more reliable.
If the cable is always going at the jack, it is because that is where it is flexing the most (between the bendy cable and the solid jack) - make a point of keeping the jack-cable section straight (ie don't wrap it tightly round your player with a near 180 degree bend at the jack) and they should last a lot longer - I have had fairly budget pairs last four years of hard use by looking after the cables on them.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #7 of 7
If you go into custom molded IEM's or even some of the more high-end IEM's out there, you can easily replace the cable. A lot of companies are putting on removable cables to their designs. If you take a look at the list in my signature, you can find aftermarket cables, or most custom IEM makers sell spare stock cables, which usually run about $25-$40 USD to get. Not a terrible price to pay and you might even be able to get the longer cord from the manufacturer and shorten it to the specific length you desire so it lasts longer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back