I'm thinking of getting a Supermini...Just a few Q's
May 9, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dealmaster00

100+ Head-Fier
So I have been looking at amps for about a month now and I think I'm getting ready for a purchase. I originally didn't want to spend more than $100 but I've decided that maybe I would spend a little more and get something that has better quality. I also would like to get something portable as I listen to music mostly on the go. Right now I have ATH-CK7, Shure e2c, and ATH-A500 headphones. I am planning on upgrading to ATH-A900, DT770 and/or DT990, and Shure e5c in the future (next 2-3 years). I am thinking that the Xin Supermini would fit my needs the best. I was originally thinking of getting the Xin Supermicro based on all the great reviews it was getting but now I am thinking that the Supermini would be better suited for me. After doing some research, I was wondering if my following impressions are correct:

-The post 4/11 Supermini and Supermicro now have comparable sound quality out-of-the-box.
-Would the Supermini be better for larger impedance (250-300 Ohm) headphones than the Supermicro? Actually, are either any good at driving such headphones? If you changed opamps in the Supermini IV, could that perhaps lead to better performance with larger cans?
-Do the Supermicro/Supermini sound pretty decent with low impedance IEM's?

Note that battery life is not important to me (I have a lot of rechargables). I hear that the RSA Hornet drives big cans pretty well but its kinda out of my price range ($350). I suppose that I could buy it if I really wanted but if the differences aren't that big I would rather spend $150 less and get a Supermini.

May 9, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dealmaster00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1.)The post 4/11 Supermini and Supermicro now have comparable sound quality out-of-the-box.
2.)Would the Supermini be better for larger impedance (250-300 Ohm) headphones than the Supermicro? Actually, are either any good at driving such headphones? If you changed opamps in the Supermini IV, could that perhaps lead to better performance with larger cans?
3.)Do the Supermicro/Supermini sound pretty decent with low impedance IEM's?

Here are my answers:

1.) yes
2.)yes,yes,yes
3.)YES!
etysmile.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my answers:

1.) yes
2.)yes,yes,yes
3.)YES!
etysmile.gif

whoa, i just watched that whole slideshow; the only word to describe it is INSANE!!!!!!
rs1smile.gif

So yeah, it looks like the supermini IV is the way to go then. I figure it will go great along with my ATH-CK7 and shure e2c and will also sound good with other cans as I progress up the headphone ladder.

May 9, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Now you make me change my mind about the SuperMicro :O :O :O Ask anyone around here, they know me for being indecisive
biggrin.gif
I must resist. I'm going to get the supermicro anyways. Now all i gotta do is wait 4 months o_O. I'll buy it this weekend. Hah.

May 9, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenGod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you make me change my mind about the SuperMicro :O :O :O Ask anyone around here, they know me for being indecisive
biggrin.gif
I must resist. I'm going to get the supermicro anyways. Now all i gotta do is wait 4 months o_O. I'll buy it this weekend. Hah.

Yeah...I really think that I would like the supermini because it has a lot more options and its only 30 bucks more. Also, while I'm not a basshead, I do like a noticeable bass presence in my music (but not ALL music - like piano/classical). I think that I will enjoy the bass boost feature when I need it in the supermini, which the supermicro does not have. Also, I think the supermini has a high/low gain switch, which would be useful for when you need to switch between high and low impedance headphones. I can understand the allure of the supermicro - it is a really easy to use product and would be great for someone who is just getting into hi-end headphones (aka me). I think that ultimately, however, I would rather spend the extra $30 now and have a more robust package that would be able to suit my needs later on (also I don't have to wait another 4 months later on :p). The great thing is I can just use the supermini as is, without knowing much about the advanced features, and it should still sound excellent!!

May 9, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 16
Hope you don't mind me hopping onto your thread and asking some questions too.

I've got ER4p's and a Rockboxed iRiver 430 and listen to orchestral and brass music. What opamps do you think I should try? Why do you think that they would be good?

thanks
Martin

May 9, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wobberly1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you don't mind me hopping onto your thread and asking some questions too.

I've got ER4p's and a Rockboxed iRiver 430 and listen to orchestral and brass music. What opamps do you think I should try? Why do you think that they would be good?

thanks
Martin

Haha yep, don't mind. Wouldn't be able to answer your question though. :/ It seems like there are so many opamps to choose from...where would one start??

May 9, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

whoa, i just watched that whole slideshow; the only word to describe it is INSANE!!!!!!
rs1smile.gif

So yeah, it looks like the supermini IV is the way to go then. I figure it will go great along with my ATH-CK7 and shure e2c and will also sound good with other cans as I progress up the headphone ladder.

INSANE!!!! -thanks
blink.gif
It's best to change the interval to fastest which is 3 seconds I think, otherwise it takes much longer to get through (click below the picture box to change)

I'll assume that you've been to Xins site to read up.

I use my SuperMini IV only for amping my ER4P but the claim is that with proper configuration it can drive 300 Ohm cans quite well. I've tried my Mini in high gain(but not using DC-DC boost) with HD 650 and it did OK but not amazing...I've yet to try the DC boost simply because I have no real desire to use it that way when I have bigger, badder amps (see avatar)
icon10.gif

My Mini has default op-amp but I plan to change that when mine goes back to Xin for the "4/11" upgrade.

May 9, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
I love my Xin Supermini III with default op amp with my ER4s... that is all

May 9, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #13 of 16
Does anyone knows if the Supermicro sounds like the Supermini with or without the bass boast?
Does Supermicro turn the ER4p into ER4s like the Supermini?
Anyone listens to Er4 with Supermini's bass boast swtiched on while indoor or outdoor?
Would the Supermini(default Opamp) sounds as good as the Supermicro?

I might want to change my order from Supermacro into Supermicro instead currently after reading some threads in Head-fi.
Sorry for asking so many questions.

May 9, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

2)Would the Supermini be better for larger impedance (250-300 Ohm) headphones than the Supermicro? Actually, are either any good at driving such headphones? If you changed opamps in the Supermini IV, could that perhaps lead to better performance with larger cans?

Here are my answers:
2.)yes,yes,yes

I thought the supermicro and supermini IV had the same ability to drive headphones? (both having same 5.5V boosted output.

This is what Xin's site says:
Quote:

If you want something even smaller, then the SuperMicro-IV is absolutely the smallest top-end amp currently available in this world. Although it does not have the features and its beautiful case is not so rugged, but it does not lose anything on sound. A single AAA battery powers any headphones for 35 hours, thanking to the same 5.5V boost technology used in SuperMini-IV and the latest amplify chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back