I'm thinking of buying Grado SR-60s... good idea?
Dec 12, 2004 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 48
How can you tell when looking at headphones, which ones do or do not need an amp to sound good?

I like those Sennheiser HD280 Pros you talk about, but when you say that the only things that don't go loud enough are things not from the big 5 labels, I'm worried, considering almost everything I listen to isn't from the big 5 labels.

Gah, this whole headphones thing is really irritating. It's like trying to figure out what car you should buy. I mean, I can't have a pair of headphones that won't get loud enough not having an amp... the point of having an iPod and headphones is to carry around music PORTABLY.

I guess I'll just have to go with the Grados.

Why is it that all good headphones need an amp? I cannot see the purpose of having headphones that can only be (conveniently) used in one spot.

I'm getting really discouraged at even buying another pair of headphones.

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #17 of 48
Believe it or not, many headphone users here have mainly home rigs totaling from a few hundred to the price of a toyota supra. And then some. Amping doesn't just add volume, it can increases bass, treble extension, add clarity, widen soundstage, and so forth. Generally, phones with high impedances need amping (harder to drive) more than ones with low. An amp can help any phone, as long as it ain't crap. I'm using my sr-71 amp with my cheap sony earbuds, and I notice an improvement.

Dec 12, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #18 of 48
By the way, what pads do the SR-60s ship with? I've noticed some pictures have the comfies, some have the bowls, and some have the flats.

Because I'm pretty sure that I don't want the comfies.

EDIT: And also, where is the recommended place to buy them? It surely has to be online, as there's nowhere I know of around here that'll have them.

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Hey I wanna buy the sr-60's as well.

You have too many grados as it is. Don't be so greedy!

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
You have too many grados as it is. Don't be so greedy!

Not for me. Christmas pressies for my sister and brother. THey both want headphones strangely
rs1smile.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 48
SR-60's ship with "comfies". Pics with flats are older pics. Just go to Todd's site and order bowls or flats.

Quote:

Why is it that all good headphones need an amp?

Grados are good headphones and do not need an amp.

Impedance gives you an idea about if it will really need an amp. Example my friend has AKG 141 at 600ohm! if I remember correctly They sound like crap right out of a computer or portable. Grados are 32ohm cans.

80's are not muddy at all. They are only a small difference than the 60's and are no where near muddy thats just crazy talk.

Dec 12, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #25 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Greedy? LOL...you have no idea! He DA DEVIL!!
evil_smiley.gif
Hahahaha....

No way dude. Honestly they both want headphones for christmas. I can't afford the nice ones for them and so many people have said good thing about the sr-60's. Honest injun
tongue.gif

Dec 12, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by patman2769
Also, how is the sound quality of the SR60s? From what I've heard, it's the best you can get for around $70. I'd also been thinking of getting the SR80s, but I've heard that without a headphone amp, they are muddy and terrible sounding. Is this true?

Muddy isn't the right word for the 80s. Murky, maybe. They tend to be more bass heavy without an amp - adding an amp brings out the high end and balances out the sound. Either way, the 80s sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back