I'm the proud owner of ER-6i's now
Nov 18, 2004 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

boytbpc

New Head-Fier
I got my first pair of Ety's today. I went with the 6i, becuase they were in my price range and I read a lot of good things about them. I have tried not to form an opinion of them yet because they are not broken in, but as I type this I'm listening to my grado 80s.
smily_headphones1.gif
I"m running the Ety's through a frequency sweep for a couple of hours and do another test. Any tips for a first time canal phone owner?

Boytbpc
Maybe
etysmile.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by boytbpc
I got my first pair of Ety's today. I went with the 6i, becuase they were in my price range and I read a lot of good things about them. I have tried not to form an opinion of them yet because they are not broken in, but as I type this I'm listening to my grado 80s.
smily_headphones1.gif
I"m running the Ety's through a frequency sweep for a couple of hours and do another test. Any tips for a first time canal phone owner?

Boytbpc
Maybe
etysmile.gif

Sounds like you're not quite impressed yet
tongue.gif

The canalphones won't respond to a burn-in process because they don't use standard diaphragms. But then again, you never know what might happen.

It might take a little while before you adjust to their sound so stick with it. Also, the most important thing is to get a good seal. Try wetting the tri-flange (but not the hole) to get the best seal. I find that I have to do this no matter how far I jam them into my ears when they are dry.

Nov 18, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
I have to agree about the break/burn in on they etys. It really dosn't happen to them. It DOES happen to YOU though. For me it was about a week, maybe two. After that, the discomfort, and strange foreign object causing pressure in my ear, feelign was gone. I was also able to get a really good seal, which only comes with practice as you adjust to them. That's when the sound gets to be its best.

I think the first week is the hardest because you have high hopes, but there
is this annoying "who just stuck a baseball bat in my ear" feeling that gets in
the way of the music
icon10.gif

-Jeff

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 7
BoyT ---

I find best results with the tri-flange. The trick is to insert the flange very very deep until the outside world sounds submerged. Try different angles for each ear canal, as my canals each have somewhat different paths.

The foamies provide a reliable average quality seal, but they wear out quickly and are costly to replace. The flanges need more adjustment and experimentation, but once you get down to a routine they will give you better isolation and bass, and can be played at a lower volume and still drown out the outside world.

Keep the flanges clean. Order a new pack and rotate two sets until one wears out. I wear one set for a week, clean the wax off after every removal, and wash the set with warm water and soap at the end of the week. They then sit and dry out for the next week while I use the other pair in rotation.

I don't recommend moist insertions. Using your own spit (the most common solution) is gross and a bad sanitary idea IMO. And carrying around chapstick or KY jelly or whatever the heck other ointments people recommend is even weirder and takes a lot of the fun out of using the phones. "Hmm, let me put some more jelly on the phones before I insert them!" Freakish and prophylactic. I get a perfect seal without this procedure, and don't alarm my fellow commuters as I coat my ERs with lip balm and then shove them into my ears...

If one phone ever stops working, odds are good that the filter has gotten wet with water or sweat. Let the phones dry for a half day or so and they'll be fine. There is probably no need to change the filter. Once you learn not to panic and change the filter when this happens, you can go six months or even a year without changing filters. (Assuming you keep the tips clean as reccd above.)

Always be aware of your surroundings. Even a stroll in your neighborhood can be risky with Etys as you may not hear the fire truck screaming towards the intersection where you have right of way or the screams of alarm as the psychopathic ax murderer closes in on you from behind... (your neighborhood may vary of course, but awareness and discretion in use of your Etys is always a good idea.)

Register the ER6is online with Ety to get the full one year warranty rather than the 90 day one that comes with purchase alone.

Good luck and enjoy your listening!

Nov 18, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Lol delenda, I completely agree that spitting on it is disgusting. Definately use water if you plan on trying it
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 7
I have listened to them non-stop since orginally posting, and now I'm starting to appreciate them more. The sound is amazingly clear, and I'm getting good bass. I'm using the foamies right now, but I"m going to try the tri-flanges later. I guess I can officially put up this now --->
etysmile.gif

Boytbpc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back