I'm stuck in a classic dilemma
Oct 31, 2007 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Sinsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

So, I ordered a Gilmore Lite for my D5000s, mostly as a temporary solution until I feel that I can use a bit more money on an amp.

But, living in Norway, I got a message from Headamp reminding me that there was no standard Wallwart for 230V. And that a 230V wart would cost me an additional $50.

Not really a problem... but then, of course, I see that "hey, thats only $150 less that a DPS for the GL!", and of course, I deposit another $200 for the DPS instead.

And you might guess what I am thinking right now...

...yep, "Hey, that's only $250 less that the GS-1".

Please make it stop!

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 29
Get yourself a Graham Slee Green solo 2008.

The standard wallwart that comes with it is as good as any high end power supply that comes standard with most amps, the voltage works from 110v-240v so you have no worries there.

Its a quality British amp and it sounds fantastic, they done a head to head at the recent UK meet up in Manchester with the gilmore lite and everyone agreed the Solo was by far the better sounding amp.

Before this amp I have had the X-CANv3 & the Heed Canamp and the Solo beats them all out of sight.

The best thing about it is its hand made in England and its only £245.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 29
If I were you, I would go for GS-1. Though, no matter how much you spent, upgraditis will catch you again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you are right. Do you know if the Stepped Attenuator be installed by me later, or if it needs to be installed by HeadAmp?

They will install it for you.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

I might have considered something else, but as it is now, I have $499 tied up in HeadAmp products (I have allready paid for the GL+DPS).

But thank you.

Get a refund and get the Green Solo its a much better amp and its cheaper!.

Oct 31, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Even VS the GS-1 ?

I meant that statement only against the GL+DPS combo (which I previously owned and heard).

I don't know how the GS-1 operates but the GL+DPS combo are very thermally inefficient (they generate a lot of heat -> a waste of electricity and hence not environmentally friendly). The Solo+PSU-1 combo OTOH run super cool and sound far superior.

Cheers!

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 29
Justin at HeadAmp makes beautiful amps that sound fantastic. Graham Slee also makes beautiful amps that sound amazing. Either one would be a great amp to live with and enjoy.

One area where Graham's amp has the clear advantage is that it is in the EU so no additional taxes. It should also be easier to get it serviced due to shorter distances and not having to go through customs in both directions.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Justin at HeadAmp makes beautiful amps that sound fantastic. Graham Slee also makes beautiful amps that sound amazing. Either one would be a great amp to live with and enjoy.

One area where Graham's amp has the clear advantage is that it is in the EU so no additional taxes. It should also be easier to get it serviced due to shorter distances and not having to go through customs in both directions.

Sadly, Norway is not part of the EU, so the taxes apply anyway, same thing with serviceing, allthough the shipping might be quite a bit cheaper.

Anyway... the GS-1 has been paid for just five minutes ago.

Heh, I got upgraditis even before owning my first non-portable amp.

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Sadly, Norway is not part of the EU, so the taxes apply anyway, same thing with serviceing, allthough the shipping might be quite a bit cheaper.

Way to go!
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Get the DACT upgrade. You know you want it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back