I'm special, I want a MiniDisc in the MP3 era
Dec 31, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #16 of 53
Curious why you quoted camille. The RH1 still has a analog line out doesn't it? Also curious does HiSP improve on SQ over SP? Personally think SP sounds ever so slightly better but its so close that you might aswell use HiSP.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious why you quoted camille. The RH1 still has a analog line out doesn't it? Also curious does HiSP improve on SQ over SP? Personally think SP sounds ever so slightly better but its so close that you might aswell use HiSP.

the RH1 does have an analog line-out; it's switchable between the headphone out.

i've onwed the RH1 for the better part of 2 months or so. the sound signature is something different compared to the iPods; there is a little touch of warmth in it which makes it quite enjoiable.

as for the Atrac codec getting better after netMD, yes, that's true. but in the sense the NetMD format itself was just a huge disappointment; considering the major limitations it had back then. of course now most of the limitations have been lifted and also allow transfer to/from Macs (but w/ certain limitations -- still no true SP to Mac IIRC).

i don't do live recording; so it was just redundant to keep using MD since using the iPod.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 53
i know about the analog line out. I think the point is that it doesn't have a digital line out. Not a feature I would use, or really see the point of, but some would like to have seen it.

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the RH1 does have an analog line-out; it's switchable between the headphone out.

i've onwed the RH1 for the better part of 2 months or so. the sound signature is something different compared to the iPods; there is a little touch of warmth in it which makes it quite enjoiable.

as for the Atrac codec getting better after netMD, yes, that's true. but in the sense the NetMD format itself was just a huge disappointment; considering the major limitations it had back then. of course now most of the limitations have been lifted and also allow transfer to/from Macs (but w/ certain limitations -- still no true SP to Mac IIRC).

i don't do live recording; so it was just redundant to keep using MD since using the iPod.

I use line-out occasionally, but it's not a feature I'm dying for on my RH10, I miss it less than I thought I would (and just use my NH900 if I need it).

I agree the Sony sound is warmer, and this shows in the graph presented by Bangraman. I've also enjoyed it and I think it complements my UM2s perfectly and allows these devices to be enjoyed more without amping (particularly with cans), but again very subjective.

You're right about NetMD Camille, and I would blame Sony who tried to push it as a 'me too' MP3 device when it clearly was not, and yes still very poor support for Macs (which are all but dominated by ipod anyway).

I don't record live and never have with any of my MDs; as a matter of fact I have not even recorded via optical in quite a while (lossless is avail only via SS 3.2 and higher), but I still enjoy them as players only. As I said they work brilliantly for me, but not for everybody. Cheers and Happy New Year!
3000smile.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Atrac lossless maybe be available on the PC with SS but its not available on a portable.

Not for recording, but playback is supported on all HiMD/ATRAC3+ devices. I was hoping they'd update Simple Burner to support lossless as it is much easier to use, but no dice; it is only available using SS and its clunky 'my library' scheme (as I archive my CDs I don't need sound files on my PC).

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not for recording, but playback is supported on all HiMD/ATRAC3+ devices.

Sorry to appear to contradict you, but if you have made (say) an Atrac Lossless file @ 256kbps, the lossless file is only available to play on the PC, for conversion to a WAV file or burning an audio CD. Only the 256kbps (lossy) part is transferred to the portable.

All the best

Peter

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #24 of 53
There was a bug wasn't there, if you made a Atrac Lossless file @ 256kbps you can only get a 256kbps file from it, as if you try to get any other lossy bitrate. it will transcode it from the lossy part not the lossless. Maybe thats fixed now.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 53
Basically, the only things you can do with the whole lossless file are:
  • Play the lossless file on your PC
  • Convert it to a WAV file
  • Create an Audio CD with it
Anything else, such as converting to a different Atrac bitrate, or transferring the file "as is" to a Hi-MD or Atrac/MP3 player uses the "lossy" part only.

Jan 7, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 53
Can you take a new picture of the graph? As it is now, it only shows 10000-20000Hz.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #28 of 53
Will do tonight , i am not sure what graph settings Bangraman used but i have tested a few times now and the RH1 has a flat Freq response. The steady rise at 10000 is not apparent in my test. I have tested with Atrac, MP3 , PCM and through line-out and headphone.

Jan 8, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 53
Don't have a HiMD with HD amp or especially good ears or earphones (so maybe my comments are not relevent) but my NH700 IMO is not superior to quite a few MP3 players I've compared it against, though other people have suggested it should be. So I'm not convinced of the superior SQ of HiMD. That said I think a lot of people (myself included) prefer the sound of some devices, like Sony or Creative because they are more enjoyable, not because they are more accurate. Kind a like a house EQ style for want of a better description.

But discussions like this is why I like Head-Fi so I can't wait for some "debate" on the subject.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back