Im sorry if this has been asked before..
May 7, 2007 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

djdanp

New Head-Fier
^^ Yeah Im new to this world, but always have been anal bout my sound quality. (DJ using big speaker systems=you can tell the difference) But now I want to get some nice headphones. I listen to mainly electronic genres.. Trance, Minimal, House, Electro House, some drum and bass, and some Progressive. Im deciding between these:

The grado sr60 vs the sr80s
The MS-1's
and the Audio technica ATH-SJ5's
Maybe Audio-Technica ATH A500
And any other of your ideas

Which ones are really the best bang for the buck? And please give your reasons. I love crisp highs, and very punchy bass

May 7, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 13
Although I have never heard an MS phone, I can tell you that many people think that the MS-1's are closer sounding to sr125's rather than sr80's, making them a great value. As for punchy bass, that means different things to different people. Grado's have very tight, clean bass, but not necessarily a lot of bass.

Hope I've helped : p

May 7, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_the_King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I have never heard an MS phone, I can tell you that many people think that the MS-1's are closer sounding to sr125's rather than sr80's, making them a great value. As for punchy bass, that means different things to different people. Grado's have very tight, clean bass, but not necessarily a lot of bass.

Hope I've helped : p

Yeah man that helped me alot, thats what I ment. I love tight and clean bass, not dirty walmart 19$ sub sounding lows.

May 7, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 13
I'd have to put in an X2 for the MS-1. The realistic bass and crisp highs are what they're all about. They are somewhat more neutral sounding than the average Grado and perhaps a bit more suitable for a wider range of music styles.

They are quite happy without an amp and if you happen to live outside the US they sell for the same price as right here in the States.

May 7, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 13
The Senns are pretty good for electronic music.

May 7, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzN1337c0d3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senns are pretty good for electronic music.

agreed, HD650 would probably be nice

I can't see Grados being good for his music preferences.

May 7, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 13
Oh sorry my budget is $100 and under

I also listen to alot of acoustical music, and soundtracks.
The elctronic music I listen to does not have heavy basslines as well

May 7, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I decided to just get the Grado Sr60s.. I didnt really want to "waste" alot of money. Ended up getting them for $59.99 incl free shipping after google checkout. Basically I got them just to see if I really would like Grado sound, or basically really nice headphone sound. If I am pleased, Ill just splurge for some nice headphones. I can see spending 500$ on nice headphones (I spend 400$ on my dj cd players EACH, and they are considered beginner) So its a good cost for audio

May 7, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Yea come on guys, would he ask about sr60's vs sr80's if he had $500 to spend?

Get the Grados, after you read and understand this; [from another thread]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just to chip in... the grado/alessandro lines are NOT suited for portable city/town use IMHO. To be enjoye, yo need to raise volume levels to definite unhealthy levels and still outside noise will come in.

for quiet home use they are my favorite, but I simply can't use them outdoors (I live in Brussels)

May 7, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 13
just so you know, grados are treble/midrange emphasized. You wont get the great low end extension you may be hoping for.

maybe sennheiser 485s?

maybe akg k81djs?

those both have a bassier sound. possible better suited for your genres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back