I'm Scared
Nov 6, 2007 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JonM

100+ Head-Fier
Since I've gotten my DT770(-80) I've been listening to them unamped via my computer, and the sound pretty good (to a noobish ear). So recently I've been thinking of getting them amped, and got some good suggestions via the amp section.

However, since I don't have the money to buy one right now, I decided to try listening to them through a (crappy) stereo system to see if they'd be pushed better. And holy shi-. They are. Atleast bass wise. They are vibrating like crazy. It is kind of scaring me. Is it possible that this is damaging them in any way? I like the bass, but I dont want to screw up my headphones. lol

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 15
if it's not distorting, it's not damaging.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 15
Sounds like you need to turn the volume down a bit.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 15
Yup, as long as its not distorting, no need to worry. Take can take quite a lot of beating as long as you dont overdo it in volume.
Oh, and remember to check Bass knob or Tone knob is at center (if it has such) and disable loudness button. (common in old stereo amps)

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They can take quite a lot of beating

But ears can't.

Nov 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont mean to hijack but what exactly does loudness do??? i can hear a difference but cant really pin point what is increased?

Increases bass and treble in a signal. Can be useful sometimes when listening at very low volume levels.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are vibrating like crazy. It is kind of scaring me. Is it possible that this is damaging them in any way?

Of course u didn't hook it up to the spkrs output, but rather, to the dedicated PHONE JACK right. Right. OK.

Nov 7, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 15
volume awareness please!

my home theatre receiver also outputs a LOT of bass for the headphone jack... but its flabby and bloated though =0

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm scared too... for your hearing.

If you are listening at levels that cause a pair of Headphones to rattle and vibrate, I can pretty much guarantee you that you are listening at a very unsafe volume. Prolonged exposure at that volume level will wreck your hearing in no time. Be careful...

Another problem. However, I am careful. I'm kinda paranoid now...

Yah no distortion, just alot of rumble.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmithepa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course u didn't hook it up to the spkrs output, but rather, to the dedicated PHONE JACK right. Right. OK.

Yah, lol, dedicated phone jack.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Turning them up too loud can and will damage them and you won't necessarily hear any distortion before the sound suddenly (or gradually) cuts out.

I've broken 2 DT-XXX drivers by turning them up loud, and there was no audible distortion on both occasions. You might use them for weeks at very high volumes, then one unfortunate note will resonate just right and cause the voice coil to snap or become dislodged.

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turning them up too loud can and will damage them and you won't necessarily hear any distortion before the sound suddenly (or gradually) cuts out.

I've broken 2 DT-XXX drivers by turning them up loud, and there was no audible distortion on both occasions. You might use them for weeks at very high volumes, then one unfortunate note will resonate just right and cause the voice coil to snap or become dislodged.

Interesting. Thanks, I'll be careful how loud I let them go.

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 15
I listen at low volumes, and I sometimes feel my Darths actually generate a feeling of vibration, usually from a kick-drum impact. The cans feel like they "jump" a little, like somebody tapping them on the cup with a finger, every time an "impact" happens. LOW voulme, too.
To top it off, when *extreme-low* bass happens, I can feel a resonance right from the can's earpads, in sympathy with the low bass rumble.
I love my Darths -- with the right music.
And I *always* listen at just-audible low safe volumes.
Did I mention that I listen at LOW VOLUMES?
Now, I dare somebody to actually post about my listening volume -- that would be a real joke.
Darths rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back