I'm overthinking my first official headphones
Nov 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

groves69

New Head-Fier
I've been racking my brain for weeks/months trying to pick out my first set of headphones.

I do some research, like a pair, get to the checkout page...then I second guess myself and look at more reviews and other options.

I have been bouncing roughly 3 models around in my head and still cannot come to terms on which one I want as they all are appealing to me.

The 3 models in question:

Beyer DT770 Pro 80ohm
AKG K550
and a toss up between Shure SRH840 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50(s) - not same headphones but they are still on list.

They need to be closed-back, circumaural headphones. Provide good sound isolation and have minimal sound leakage.

I am not really a bass-head, so it is not at the top of my list. But do want some bass presence when I am watching movies and/or playing games. I down want the sound to be muddled but rather a sound than is clean and without one aspect overpowering another. Well-rounded I guess. I am not using audiphiliac lingo as I would not know which to use correctly.

I would be running them off my iPad or my receiver. I do not have a portable amp...yet.

Anyone willing to put me out of misery?

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 6
You need to realize that although this will be your FIRST pair of 'phones, it probable won't be your LAST. There are three ways to enjoy your headphones:

1) Pick one, listen to it, and if you don't like it or get tired of it, sell it on head-fi and buy something else.
2) Pick one, listen to it, and if you don't like it or get tired of it, keep it as part of your collection and buy something else.
3) Pick one, listen to it, be happy, and never come back to head-fi.

:wink:

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Comfort first:

The Shure headband is uncomfortable without modding. I recommend against buying it unless you're willing to do that.

The AT cups are a little small so if your ears stick out or if you wear glasses, the edge of your ear might touch the pad in front of the driver. That bothers some users. I preferred the straight-cabled M50s, because the coiled cable weighs down one side of the head.

I haven't demoed that particular AKG yet, which is built different from their usual headband, e.g., K70x. Some have complained about the fit.

I haven't tried DT770 either, but all of the round-cupped Beyers I've tried have been comfortable. The guy at my local Guitar Center thinks DT770 is the most comfortable he's tried. So I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Sound will depend on your music preferences. I probably can't help you there (unless you listen to classical, in which case forget the M50).

Regarding reviews, have you looked at Tyll's website? http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Good luck!

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 6
  Comfort first:

The Shure headband is uncomfortable without modding. I recommend against buying it unless you're willing to do that.

The AT cups are a little small so if your ears stick out or if you wear glasses, the edge of your ear might touch the pad in front of the driver. That bothers some users. I preferred the straight-cabled M50s, because the coiled cable weighs down one side of the head.

I haven't demoed that particular AKG yet, which is built different from their usual headband, e.g., K70x. Some have complained about the fit.

I haven't tried DT770 either, but all of the round-cupped Beyers I've tried have been comfortable. The guy at my local Guitar Center thinks DT770 is the most comfortable he's tried. So I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Sound will depend on your music preferences. I probably can't help you there (unless you listen to classical, in which case forget the M50).

Regarding reviews, have you looked at Tyll's website? http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Good luck!

The SRH840 headband is only uncomfortable if you have it tightly against your head.  The headphones extend enough that, even for my very big head, I am able to have the headband lightly resting on my head.  I find them to be very comfortable. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 6
You need to realize that although this will be your FIRST pair of 'phones, it probable won't be your LAST. There are three ways to enjoy your headphones:

1) Pick one, listen to it, and if you don't like it or get tired of it, sell it on head-fi and buy something else.
2) Pick one, listen to it, and if you don't like it or get tired of it, keep it as part of your collection and buy something else.
3) Pick one, listen to it, be happy, and never come back to head-fi.

wink.gif

Yeah that would save me the headache if I went through the gauntlet of trying them out. Always a bit hesitant about that, but the folks here seem to live by that and it seems to work well for them. Just a matter of diving into it! Appreciate the suggestion.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 6
  Comfort first:

Good luck!

I have not tried any headphones save for my now defunct HD202s...so I would not even know where to begin with that. I mean I don't think I have a freakishly small head by any means nor does it appear to be overgrown! Haha

I have read that the Beyer cups are among best in terms of comfort, the AKG were somewhat shallow (but my ears are not sticking out of my head), M50s were ~OK
My music preference is mainly centered around the likes of: Led Zep, Jimi Hendrix, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica...I can also endure some pop/R&B depending on artist and song. (That absolutely excludes the likes of one Justin Bieber!)

Tyll has been one of my main go-to people for reviews. I may flip a coin on the headphones, since I have little to no experience in the matter and know nothing about sound (for now) I need to start somewhere to get the ball rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back