I'm out of control! Just bought this...
Sep 26, 2001 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DanG

Headphoneus Supremus
I was perusing Amazon.fr for books by Jean-Paule Sartre (so hard to find books in French in the US), and decided to take a gander at some French jazz. I listened to samples from a few uninspired albums, when I came upon the following album which I liked very much:

B00005JGK8.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I suggest you check it out! It's great stuff (from the little I've heard). I was surprised, though, not to find it on CDnow.com or Amazon.com (or in a shopping.yahoo.com search). Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...384185-0552948

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Could you tell us how it sounds compared to some more well-known jazz (Miles, Monk, Sir Duke, Mahavishnu Orchestra....anything! just give a comparison).

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 5
It's good stuff -- haven't been listening to much music recently, but this is definitely some of the wierder jazz I've listened to. He does a lot of string plucking -- and I mean actual string plucking on the piano. I don't much like that. I'll say some more when I get to hear some more.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I don't believe there is a copyright on this music in America, so I'd be willing to make one or two mp3s from this CD to send out to some of you. Shipping from France is somewhat prohibitive.

By the way, I just looked at the back of the CD to check for copyrights... it's an HDCD-encoded disc! Exciting, but I don't have an HDCD decoder.
frown.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 5
hooray for everything french! l'immoralist par andre gide is also a fab book. Who else here speaks french?

Anyway, I'm going to check out that CD. It looks great to me.

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:42 AM Post #5 of 5
I ended up buying Baudelaire by Sartre. I probably won't get to read it soon, though, as my college French class has me doing some reading already (Victor Hugo, good stuff too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back