I'm off to Belgium tomorrow. Does VISA Electron work there?
Jan 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
Question to you Belgium people, or anyone who has visited there. Does VISA Electron work commonly? In bars, shops, anywhere? Theoretically it should work everywhere where normal VISA debit card works, but thats not always the case I think? Just wondering if I should take a lot of cash with me or not.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 19
My brother had no luck with an ATM with Visa Eletron card, my Visa debit card was fine..

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont take cash

even if the visa debit card aspect doesnt work im betting it will have cirrus on it and hence work in the local cash machines.

i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work, might be an idea to ask ur bank that it is authorised for use abroad

It should work abroads. I managed to make it work in paypal too using its Visa function. Yes, I have heard that they should work in most cash machines through the world (hopefully there is english as an option!), but more confirmations on this would be welcome. Rain_uk's post isnt reassuring.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh well, im off to sleep.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 19
But I dont have normal Visa, and no longer time to get one either. Perhaps I should take bit of extra cash with me, just in case.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 19
Some banks as a security measure may turn off your card if it's really far from your billing address. (happened to me). They should also be able to tell you if it's usable overseas. Make sure you enjoy some of Belgium's many fine beers, and everything else. I want to move there after visiting.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 19
Don't take cash, take Travelers Cheques. A lot safer if the worst should happen and then you can just change them up as you go along.

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #11 of 19
I don't know whether it works with all ATMs, but in my experience you can use most common things when you are going to a bank. (assuming you can use your card overseas) I've been to several countries where I couldn't use my card with an ATM but was able to get money just by going to a bank.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #12 of 19
It never sounds like good advice to take cash on a trip abroad, but I would consider taking more of it along (and stashing it well) just in case you have problems with the card. I'm not sure about Pori, but here in Jämsä Visa Electron is a big problem at many local establishments.

I have a friend who works at Nordea, but the chances of me asking him about this today (Sunday) are pretty slim... If you're staying at a hotel in Belgium, it might be good to check with them in advance if your card will work without problems there and if they offer basic banking services to help you withdraw funds in the event that cash machines won't take your card, etc.

Have a good trip!

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Make sure you enjoy some of Belgium's many fine beers, and everything else.

I intent to.
biggrin.gif
I also intent to check Belgiums chocolates, I heard they are famous. Atleast my aunt said that if I ever intent to see Finland again, you'd better bring me some...
tongue.gif

My trip is work related schooling trip, so stuff like hotels are already paid off. (I sleep in Brussels Novotel) My boss has already given some cash for other expenses, but as I am there for a week, more money might be (read: will be :b) needed so I might as well as take some extra cash with me. I would propably not keep them all along as I walk around Brussel (are pickpockets a big problem there?), but store some of them in my hotel room.

Calling my bank on Sunday might indeed be a problem Jaska, and I will leave in couple of hours now.

See you all next week!

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling my bank on Sunday might indeed be a problem Jaska, and I will leave in couple of hours now.

Sorry if my post was confusing. I know contacting the bank today would be problematic, so I meant to say to maybe try checking with the hotel where you'll be staying. Many times, good hotels offer basic financial services (currency exchange, cash withdrawls from credit/debit cards, etc.).

As far as I've ever understood, cash machine withdrawls should not be a problem with Visa Electron, but many (especially small) businesses with outdated systems can't check up-to-the-minute account balances, so they just refuse to accept Visa Electron altogether. The same goes for places where they use those dinosaur card imprinters since Visa Electron cards don't have any raised text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back