I'm not very impressed so far with Sextetts.
Mar 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

doping panda

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sextetts(Mid Production) and I'm not very impressed right now. I'm not feeling the magic. It's a step up from the IEMs I was using before, but I like my HD580 w/HD600 grills much more. I know I'm not driving them properly since I'm forced to run them from my laptop and portable, but the same situation applies to my HD580 as well. Can proper amplification make that much of a difference? I'm gonna try running them from my dad's Onkyo power amp later to see how much better it gets, but I'm a bit skeptical that much can change and I'm not very sure how good the headphone stage is on that amp. I'm not sure what the model number is, but it says "delta power supply circuit" on the front. I'll post my impressions later.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Yeah, proper amplification makes a lot of difference. Especially with hard-to-drive cans like the Sextetts. I'd say get some sort of amp first, then decide on what's the better of the two.

There's also taste involved. Perhaps you just don't like them.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 21
600-ohm AKGs vs. hd580 is a very different kind of "not driven properly".

Amp will make a difference but you probably get more bass and a lot more midbass from the senns anyway - and if that's what you like, that's what you like.

What condition are the pads in? They should be as tall and proud as a krispy kreme raised glazed.

Mar 14, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZarakiSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, proper amplification makes a lot of difference. Especially with hard-to-drive cans like the Sextetts. I'd say get some sort of amp first, then decide on what's the better of the two.

There's also taste involved. Perhaps you just don't like them.

Yeah, I considered that, but I think I do like the Sextetts. I'm just not feeling the magic midrange or warmth. The bass also feels a little flabby and out of control with what I'm driving them. With what I have right now, I just like the Senns better for everything except sound leakage and isolation. Maybe I would like LP Sextetts more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600-ohm AKGs vs. hd580 is a very different kind of "not driven properly".

Amp will make a difference but you probably get more bass and a lot more midbass from the senns anyway - and if that's what you like, that's what you like.

What condition are the pads in? They should be as tall and proud as a krispy kreme raised glazed.

I'll keep this in mind until I get a real amp. Right now, I'm saving up for one. That midbass increase seems for the Senns seems a bit disheartening though. I rather like the tonal balance of my Senns right now, and I think an big increase in midbass will likely detract from my enjoyment of them.
frown.gif

The pads are in pretty good condition. They actually are about as tall as a Krispy Kreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 21
You should try them both from an amp, if you have a receiver or something, that might very well be good enough. Laptops can be a bit weak, giving you rather sloppy bass.
(then I'd like to hear your impressions, since I don't have the sextett but the 580)

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 21
I briefly listened(about half an hour) to my Sextetts out of my dad's power amp. Sweet Jesus! The improvement was extraordinary. I was expecting amping to improve performance, but I was definitely not expecting such a clear difference.The bass tremendously tightened, losing all of the flabbiness without losing any of the impact, and became punchier. Because of how uncontrolled the bass was out of my laptop, I couldn't stand listening to Radiohead, particularly some of the bassier songs; on the power amp though, it was such a joy listening! The tightening of the bass also improved the tonal balance and clarity greatly. The mids gained some real mojo. I'm really starting to understand what all that talk about those magic AKG mids. Vocals are breathtaking now. I was very impressed while listening to some Ella - so warm and intimate. The detail also seem to improve a level or two. I'm really loving them now
smily_headphones1.gif

One things that bothers me though is that there was this monstrous noise floor when I was listening. I'm not sure if it was the source, the preamp, or the power amp. Hopefully, it's the source though since I was using a pretty terrible dvd player since it's the only thing that can play a CD connected to the preamp. If it is, I should be able to run an optical cable from my laptop and that problem will be solved. I still need to save money for a proper DAC and amp though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try them both from an amp, if you have a receiver or something, that might very well be good enough. Laptops can be a bit weak, giving you rather sloppy bass.
(then I'd like to hear your impressions, since I don't have the sextett but the 580)

Well, I won't be able to give you my HD580 impressions until next week because my HD650 cable comes in later this week, and I don't have a mini->1/4 adapter for the stock cable. I'm pretty sure my dad's power amp can drive the HD580 since it did wonders for my Sextetts. I'm personally can't wait to see what proper amplification does for my Senns.

Now, if I can only convince my dad to let me take the preamp and amp back to the dorms.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm saving up for one. That midbass increase seems for the Senns seems a bit disheartening though. I rather like the tonal balance of my Senns right now, and I think an big increase in midbass will likely detract from my enjoyment of them.
frown.gif

The pads are in pretty good condition. They actually are about as tall as a Krispy Kreme.
smily_headphones1.gif

No i mean, the senns have a 'fun' midbass already, where the sextetts are more flat.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't either.
My w11 jpn and AD2000 have just destroyed them.

These sold for around 45 bucks in the 80's..Not a fair comparison at all.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I briefly listened(about half an hour) to my Sextetts out of my dad's power amp. Sweet Jesus! The improvement was extraordinary. I was expecting amping to improve performance, but I was definitely not expecting such a clear difference.The bass tremendously tightened, losing all of the flabbiness without losing any of the impact, and became punchier. Because of how uncontrolled the bass was out of my laptop, I couldn't stand listening to Radiohead, particularly some of the bassier songs; on the power amp though, it was such a joy listening! The tightening of the bass also improved the tonal balance and clarity greatly. The mids gained some real mojo. I'm really starting to understand what all that talk about those magic AKG mids. Vocals are breathtaking now. I was very impressed while listening to some Ella - so warm and intimate. The detail also seem to improve a level or two. I'm really loving them now
smily_headphones1.gif

One things that bothers me though is that there was this monstrous noise floor when I was listening. I'm not sure if it was the source, the preamp, or the power amp. Hopefully, it's the source though since I was using a pretty terrible dvd player since it's the only thing that can play a CD connected to the preamp. If it is, I should be able to run an optical cable from my laptop and that problem will be solved. I still need to save money for a proper DAC and amp though.

Well, I won't be able to give you my HD580 impressions until next week because my HD650 cable comes in later this week, and I don't have a mini->1/4 adapter for the stock cable. I'm pretty sure my dad's power amp can drive the HD580 since it did wonders for my Sextetts. I'm personally can't wait to see what proper amplification does for my Senns.

Now, if I can only convince my dad to let me take the preamp and amp back to the dorms.
evil_smiley.gif

We have a believer..Then cans demand current and juice.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No i mean, the senns have a 'fun' midbass already, where the sextetts are more flat.

Strange, I thought the HD580 w/600 grilles was much, much more flat than the Sextett. Could this be an issue of my pads being a bit worn?

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #12 of 21
There's nothing subjective about amping them properly - as UncleErik has said, any good amp's job is the feed the headphone the current and voltage swing it needs when the song calls for it.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have a believer..Then cans demand current and juice.

halleyuya, i'm a fan of sextett's as well.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sex

I'm a fan of that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back