I'm not happy with my setup...
Jul 12, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #31 of 39
Auditioned a few cans today. I didn't like the Ultrasone 750. Not a rock can IMO. The DT990 Pro and DT880 are better rock cans than the Senns but soundstange seemed smaller. "Bass boom" on the Beyers was not as tight as I would of liked, but maybe source and the Opera had something to do with it.

I'll audition the SA5000 some other time. I don't think I'll be able to audition Grados anytime soon, the one dealer I found is out of stock.

I've come to realized I like energetic somewhat agressive sound. I'm a bit of a bass and treble head if that's possible.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by snoxu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auditioned a few cans today. I didn't like the Ultrasone 750. Not a rock can IMO. The DT990 Pro and DT880 are better rock cans than the Senns but soundstange seemed smaller. "Bass boom" on the Beyers was not as tight as I would of liked, but maybe source and the Opera had something to do with it.

I'll audition the SA5000 some other time. I don't think I'll be able to audition Grados anytime soon, the one dealer I found is out of stock.

I've come to realized I like energetic somewhat agressive sound. I'm a bit of a bass and treble head if that's possible.

I found the 880's and 990's to have a wider sound stage than the HD650's. The 990's aren't too tight on the bottom end, but the 880's always were tight and focused to my ears. But I've grown to not like bass heavy headphones, bass is easy for me to hear, and too much of it and the midrange starts disappearing.

I still think you really should try to get your hands on some Grado's or Alessandro's. You're barking up the wrong tree with these other headphones you're trying. I was there myself, and because your not in the USA, just order some Alessandro's and be done with it ;D

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 39
So are Grados like the SR225 and Alessandros one trick ponies excelling at rock and not that good for other genres?

Yeah looks like I'm going to have to take a leap of faith and order some. Or I can hold out 'til the dealer I found gets some Grados in stock.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Yeah looks like I'm going to have to take a leap of faith and order some. So are Grados like the SR225 and Alessandros one trick ponies excelling at rock and not that good for other genres?

My SR225's are excellent for Techno, Jazz, and Acoustical work as well. Sure they may not be the top of their game for Jazz like DT880's, or some other phones may be more fun for techno, but they still are amazing! Plus when you want to rock, nothing is satisfying like Grado's.

Jul 12, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

your last statement alone screams Grado/Alessandro

as I type this I am listening to some jazz on my new sr325i
rs1smile.gif

and I am amazed . . . . . . .
I would strongly suggest you check out this line of cans as I fully expect it to be worth your efforts. From what you say, and what I hear in my grado's, I'd be extremely surprised if this was not the sound you seek.

And this is from someone who started here as part of "the dark side" with HD600 and has evolved into one who really appreciates Grado's, very much to my own surprise.

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #37 of 39
Small update: I bought the DT990 Pro. Paid only 185€ so I figured why not and I least I have something else to listen to while I wait to audition some Grados. Definately not laid back like Senns. Headband is a bit too tight for my liking but maybe it'll loosen up.

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #38 of 39
I hope you enjoy your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to comment on the 650 "boring" sound though. The problem with these "terrific" headphones is their price. I mean it is too low! Yes indeed. This leads the average buyer to grab a pair, connect it to a low price amp and... be drown to the music boriness... These headphones are created for real high end DACS and amps. I started using them with an Xcan V2 amplifier. I can say that I wasn't quite satisfied by the sound quality. There was always something .. missing from the sound. After I bought a stello DAC and AMP, I can honestly say that it was like I changed the headphones. The laid back sound is more forward, the sound stage is (by far) wider and the texture of the instruments is terrific. I feel though that the headphones can do even better with higher quality amps. There is also the cable factor. There are many different cable options for someone to choose, if he wants to have a more "forward" sound. You may enjoy the grados, in a regular setup. When we speak for real stuff though, there is where the 650 really shine, and the grados cant really follow, (even the GS 1000) Take a look on the HeadRoom review: http://www.headphone.com/products/he...do-gs-1000.php. Also the fact that headroom recommends for it's best amp ( http://www.headphone.com/products/he...lanced-amp.php ) the 650 ,the K701 and the beyerdynamic DT880 indicates that these cans are really among the BEST, for a really HIGH end gear.

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #39 of 39
I wasn't going to make any comments concerning the sound as I've barely gotten the DT990 Pro out of the box, but with both the DT900 and the HD650 there is stuff missing. Some detail and layers get tucket away in little corners. Sound is not as lush as I would of liked.

I'm starting to think the Opera as a DAC/Amp combo is not as great as I would of liked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back