I'm new to turntables! I'm new with turntables- I have my turntable and headphones, but the volume is too low?
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SiameseDream

New Head-Fier
I'm new to turntables! I'm new with turntables- I have my turntable and headphones, but the volume is too low?

There is no volume controller, so what do I need to make the sound output on my headphones louder? I did some research and I think you need a pre amp and an amplifier?? Then someone said I need an amp/pre amplifier for both my turntable and headphones? I don't understand or is it the same thing. Can someone explain me to me in the easiest way possible? Preferable not that expensive, under 100 to make everything work? Excuse the ignorance, and thanks!

BTW this is what I have now

Turntable- Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370225130&sr=8-1&keywords=turntable

Headphones- Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1370225210&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+headphones

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 9
I clicked on the link and it says your turntable has two outputs 'phono' and 'line'. This means the turntable has a phono pre-amp built in. To use it you would need to use the line output, to bypass it(if you wanted to use an external one) you can use the 'phono' output.

You will need a headphone amplifier however. I'm curious what you are plugging your headphones into right now as I don't see any headphone outputs on the turntable. Whatever device you have between the turntable and phones may have a hp amp built in... then it would just be a matter of making sure you are using the 'line' output on the table.

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4 of 9
Ah, then you do still need a headphone amp. Very few headphones will be the right volume out of a 'line level' source and it isn't adjustable. A popular choice around the $100 mark is the Schiit Magni. I haven't heard it myself but there are a lot of good reviews for it here. You could probably get something a little cheaper too but I'm drawing a blank trying to think of an names in the price range.

You could also try picking up a vintage receiver. For under $100(and even under $50) you can get one with a good headphone out and a decent phono amp(that may be better than the one in your TT). These old amps can be a bit of a nuisance though. More likely than not you'll end up with one that needs some work done to it. If you're good with electronics/soldering it's a cheap path into good sound. If not, you're probably find it isn't worth the hassle.

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 9
Interesting. I'd like something cheaper, but still decent. As you can see I don't have that much money, that's why the budget is so low. I'm only 18 and about to go to college. Just name a few that are cheaper but still "good" if you can. Because if buy that amp for 100, it'll be more than I payed for the turntable ($90 brand new). Unless that's a regular thing with turntables and amps.  And aha, I don't have sodering equipment, and don't feel like doing it. I just want one that would sync with my turntable and headphones nicely, but it doesn't have to be fancy at all. In the future I might spend more on all of my equipment to get a better experience, but for now I'm fine with what I have, just need an amp

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 9
hello you didn't reply so I bought this and it didn't work.. :frowning2:
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepai-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370569146&sr=8-1&keywords=amplifier

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 9
That amp is meant to drive speakers and not headphones.  Think of headphones as mini speakers so naturally driving them requires less power.

If you search for headphone amplifier on amazon you should get some ideas. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

There is no volume controller, so what do I need to make the sound output on my headphones louder? I did some research and I think you need a pre amp and an amplifier?? Then someone said I need an amp/pre amplifier for both my turntable and headphones? I don't understand or is it the same thing. Can someone explain me to me in the easiest way possible? Preferable not that expensive, under 100 to make everything work? Excuse the ignorance, and thanks!

BTW this is what I have now

Turntable- Audio Technica AT-LP60 Fully Automatic Belt Driven Turntable
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60-Automatic-Driven-Turntable/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370225130&sr=8-1&keywords=turntable

Headphones- Sony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphones with CCAW Voice Coil
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1370225210&sr=8-7&keywords=sony+headphones

You need a vintage receiver/integrated amp and that turntable will sing.................

Go on over to Audiokarma.org and read to your heart's content.

Me, I have two Kenwood KA-5700 integrated amps as my headphone amps - they drive them unbelievably well.  And a Pioneer SA-7500 Mark II arriving later this week as a Father's Day gift to myself.   I have been fortunate in that neither Kenwood needed any work, not even Deoxit on the switchgear, and the Pioneer has been gone through so it will be prime right out of the box.

Seriously, the TT is expecting to drive into a unit like I have - and for less than $100 you can find a sweet vintage receiver/amp.  They have a phono hookup that all you need to do is plug in and go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back