I'm New to Head-Fi and would like some recommendation on headphones.
Jul 31, 2004 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ankga

New Head-Fier
This is my first post here, although i've been visiting this site for the last 2 weeks.

my knowledge about headphones are so minimum. not until i found this site. i've been browsing through all the old archives and found some ideas from there.

well my question to ya'll is that i need some recommendation on headphones. just some guide for what i should purchase next time i shop for some headphones. but i'm gonna let you know that i have some tight budget. so please just recommend what best for that budget i have

currently i own a sony MDR-G74SL as my portable headphones to carry wherever i'm going. i love the boomy bass sound and clear background, althought i learn fom you guys that sony street style line don't really have good reputation here. i also learn that Sen PX200 have good reputation as being portable headphones. would you recommend PX200 as my next portable? i don't want to elimininate the quality of the pounding bass that G74 has. or perhaps you have any other recommendation? (ooops i forgot, budget : around $35)

i also looking forward to buy some in-canal phones. i'm going to use it while i'm going to sleep. some headphones that i've been looking forward to in this category : Koss The Plug and Sony MDR-EX71SL (maybe EX51 since i heard they have the same driver). i can't go for shures or some etys since they're so out of my budget. so what would you recommend. my budget is somewhere along $30.

thank you very much for reading my long post, and looking forward to see some reply...

, thx again!

Jul 31, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 11
Since you won't really get the sort of pounding bass out of the canalphones you mentioned, I really wouldnt recommend them for you.
I think Koss Porta Pro might be an interesting option: very strong bass, a bit bloated (but that's what you're looking for anyways). Another option is the Koss Ksc 35 which is more balanced meaning the bass is not as dominant as on the Porta Pros, I personally prefer the bass on the ksc35 because it's more defined than on the porta pros but that's just a matter of taste. Note that there two headphones are very open and won't isolate and will leak a lot of sound as well.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 11
actually i'm looking for two headphones,

the portable is for use in subway trains (so i'm not looking for any kind of leakage)

and the in-canal phone is for use when i'm going to sleep.

is KSC-35 comfy when you take them to go to sleep, i'm kinda concern by the isolation they offer tho'

anyway, thx for the reply

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 11
mine are in the mail otw, but i've read the same you have - that the KSC-35 is a great bed can, but it's open still so you'll hear in, and they hear out. which is not bad if you use it outside - always safe to have open phones on the street.

Jul 31, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 11
The Senn MX500 isn't a canal phone, it's an earbud, but it is easily wearable in bed (for me) and gives better sound than the EX71 (in my opinion). It's a bit cheaper than the sonys too. But the EX71/51 is also quite good in that price range.

Jul 31, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: The portapro2 cost 20.00 at circuit city. They sound the same as the portapro.

The $20 price was the sale price from a few months ago and the sale was discountinued after a week or two and now it's back to it's $40 MSRP.

Jul 31, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Mr.Radar
HI: Oh thank you for correcting me. I guess it would be better to get the portapros then.

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 11
the MDR-G74SL seems to be one of the streetstyles that are alright. at least that is what most of what the Head-Fiers that have heard it say. I have a pair myself but don't listen to it much (nor have much background in cans in that price range) so I cannot comment much on it myself.

bangraman posted a review a few weeks ago comparing the MDR-G74SL to the PX100 and PX200 so you may find that useful.

Aug 1, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 11
i think i'm going to stick with my G74 right now. since it's pretty comparable to PX200, so i don't need to waste any money...

Senn MX500 look pretty tempting...

does anybody know about the isolation that it got tho'? and how's it better than EX71SL? i like clear sound, but i don't like flat sound. i prefer something that punchy...

Aug 1, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 11
the mx500 does not isolate at all, since they're only earbuds. The ex71 are psuedo-canal phones, they don't isolate as well as true canalphones such as those made by shure and etymotic, but they isolate more than open headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back