I'm new in this business - What are amps used for?
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MusicJunkie101

New Head-Fier
Hey,

My plan is buying Colorfly C3 and load the c3 with highres audio files

I've seen that cheap amp called "fiio e11"

1. What is it used for?
2. Should it fit with the colorfly and portapro?
3. Will I feel big change with the amp?

Cheers

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 5
1. An amplifier does just what it's name implies. It amplifies the sound signal.  
2. If by "fit" you mean is it compatible: Yes
3. That really depends on what you are driving them with, and this is really the most important criteria when making a decision to add an amp to a portable rig.

Most IEMs are quite efficient and can be driven to satisfying levels from a source component, without having to have a dedicated amp.  Here's a good example from my own personal experience.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 using Neutron Player and a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10's.  I think the TF10's sound fantastic right from my phone.  However I've always been curious about portable amps and DAC/amps, so I recently bought a Fiio e18.   If I would have bought it with the expectation of having my S4/TF10 system transformed, I'd have been sorely disappointed.  Now I should mention that I do not consider myself an audiophile and cannot (nor do I want to) tell the difference between different DAC's and the difference between 128Kbps and  192kbps .mp3's.   I will say this tho, using the Fiio with my TF10's I can drive them to volumes that are almost certainly damaging to my long term hearing health.   

Do you smell a.......

But...the great thing about having the Fiio e18 is that I can use my 300ohm Sennheiser HD580's in a portable rig and have a very nice listening experience.   So, if you have some headphones that sound good or even great to you from your portable source I would say most definitely save your money and skip the amp.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 5
  1. An amplifier does just what it's name implies. It amplifies the sound signal.  
2. If by "fit" you mean is it compatible: Yes
3. That really depends on what you are driving them with, and this is really the most important criteria when making a decision to add an amp to a portable rig.

Most IEMs are quite efficient and can be driven to satisfying levels from a source component, without having to have a dedicated amp.  Here's a good example from my own personal experience.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 using Neutron Player and a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10's.  I think the TF10's sound fantastic right from my phone.  However I've always been curious about portable amps and DAC/amps, so I recently bought a Fiio e18.   If I would have bought it with the expectation of having my S4/TF10 system transformed, I'd have been sorely disappointed.  Now I should mention that I do not consider myself an audiophile and cannot (nor do I want to) tell the difference between different DAC's and the difference between 128Kbps and  192kbps .mp3's.   I will say this tho, using the Fiio with my TF10's I can drive them to volumes that are almost certainly damaging to my long term hearing health.   

Do you smell a.......

But...the great thing about having the Fiio e18 is that I can use my 300ohm Sennheiser HD580's in a portable rig and have a very nice listening experience.   So, if you have some headphones that sound good or even great to you from your portable source I would say most definitely save your money and skip the amp.

Wow amazing comment, Thanks!

I see many people use amp even with Ipod nano.. why so many people use it if it just amplifies the sound? 
Like.. the max volume isn't enough for them or something?

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 5
  Wow amazing comment, Thanks!

I see many people use amp even with Ipod nano.. why so many people use it if it just amplifies the sound? 
Like.. the max volume isn't enough for them or something?

Hanging around these forums has a way of making folks want to buy stuff.  If you're looking for a hobby you can dump huge amounts of money in, you just hit the jackpot!!!

I'll surely get flamed for this, but here goes:  A lot of times folks will read about something and think, "Oh boy, that's what will make me have multiple eargasms all day long", then they buy it and because they have such high expectations, they'll typically do one of two things:

1) they'll realize that the product didn't live up to their expectations and feel let down and bash the product or simply return it and go on with their lives a little wiser than before.

2) they want desperately to feel like they got their money's worth and they need to justify the outlay of cash and so they immediately jump on Heaf-Fi and rave about how "much more awesomer" their music listening is now that they have the new "(insert gadget name)". 

I don't see it as much these days, but used to you could find Ray Samuels portable amps and DAC/amps in the FS/FT forums any day of the week.   I'm not bashing RSA at all, but the fact is, RSA products are highly engineered and American made and thus very expensive.   As consumers we tend tho think that the more we spend the happier we'll be.  But when we get our shiny new toy and realize that we'd rather have all that money back, off to the FS/FT forums it goes.

Now you may think that all this is quite cynical.  I think of it as being realistic and these are just my thoughts and opinions from having been into headphone audio, bought and sold several pieces of gear and been a member of the forums for a few years.   So let me say this:  Amps do have a place.  Just like in my example I bought a portable DAC/amp and keep and use it when I want to be able to drive my Sennheisers decently when I'm away from my main home rig.

By the way,  welcome to Head-Fi, and I would encourage you to read a lot of stuff here with a healthy dose of skepticism and trust you're own ears to tell you what sounds good.  If you go out and buy some Dr. Dre Beats and like them: Great!   If you decide that you spend enough time listening to headphones and have the money to spend to see how high the high-end of headphone audio goes, your in the right place.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 5

Hanging around these forums has a way of making folks want to buy stuff.  If you're looking for a hobby you can dump huge amounts of money in, you just hit the jackpot!!!

I'll surely get flamed for this, but here goes:  A lot of times folks will read about something and think, "Oh boy, that's what will make me have multiple eargasms all day long", then they buy it and because they have such high expectations, they'll typically do one of two things:

1) they'll realize that the product didn't live up to their expectations and feel let down and bash the product or simply return it and go on with their lives a little wiser than before.

2) they want desperately to feel like they got their money's worth and they need to justify the outlay of cash and so they immediately jump on Heaf-Fi and rave about how "much more awesomer" their music listening is now that they have the new "(insert gadget name)". 

I don't see it as much these days, but used to you could find Ray Samuels portable amps and DAC/amps in the FS/FT forums any day of the week.   I'm not bashing RSA at all, but the fact is, RSA products are highly engineered and American made and thus very expensive.   As consumers we tend tho think that the more we spend the happier we'll be.  But when we get our shiny new toy and realize that we'd rather have all that money back, off to the FS/FT forums it goes.

Now you may think that all this is quite cynical.  I think of it as being realistic and these are just my thoughts and opinions from having been into headphone audio, bought and sold several pieces of hear and been a member of the forums for a few years.   So let me say this:  Amps do have a place.  Just like in my example I bought a portable DAC/amp and keep and use it when I want to be able to drive my Sennheisers decently when I'm away from my main home rig.

By the way,  welcome to Head-Fi, and I would encourage you to read a lot of stuff here with a healthy dose of skepticism and trust you're own ears to tell you what sounds good.  If you go out and by some Dr. Dre Beats and like them: Great!   If you decide that you spend enough time listening to headphones and have the money to spend to see how high the high-end of headphone audio goes, your in the right place.

Thanks alot mate! You really helped me.
I've sent you PM about something :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back