I'm never going to make fun of a CD player again.
Jul 19, 2006 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I finally got around to reassembling my dad's old Technics SL-D202 turntable. Funny thing was, I just found out the piece of junk is only worth $25 these days. But better than nothing, ne?

Anyway, I used an adapter to put those two audio channels into one, put in through my PA2V2, and out a Creative 2.1 speaker system.

I can't believe how HARD it is to drive those things! And lack of bass, poor controls compared to even the worst CD Player, the fragile nature of the system and vinyls, the clicks and pops...

I mean, sure, I love it with the whole retro thing and there's something way different to it compared to an iPod sound, but this vintage thing is crazy!

I shall never EVER make fun of a CD player again...unless Bose makes one
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 13
Sounds like you didn't use a phono preamp, merely using a headphone amp for those duties which will work somewhat, but of course the volume would be low and the sound rather bright. I find my cheapie Pyle turntable, basic Audio Technica cartridge, and RadioShack "little rat" phono preamp to sound pretty decent, and the pops and clicks tend not to be too distracting. It may be my most "hi-fi" source currently, given that my next best source is a Creative Zen Vision:M (long gone are the days when I had a good computer source). Out of the setup you described, I would fully expect the sound to be rather dissapointing, to say the least.

Jul 19, 2006 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 13
You need a phono preamp stage otherwise there is no way in earth that with a few mVs you will drive an line state amps designed for around 150mV, and be OK. Another issue you may have is the EQ, you need a Phone stage, definitely....but even though I still preffer CDs for many other reasons, ok?

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 13
check if your dad has the old receiver that he probably hooked that TT into - it's probably old enough to have an integrated phono stage, like my Marantz. that should be good enough for that TT!

Jul 19, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
check if your dad has the old receiver that he probably hooked that TT into - it's probably old enough to have an integrated phono stage, like my Marantz. that should be good enough for that TT!

Old Marantz units rock out on the phono stage, as long as the caps are still decent, Jahn has the 2225 if I recall which is superb for a phono stage out for these purposes...

I have the Marantz 2230 and it works quite awesome with my Technics SL-D3 TT, hope this helps..
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Blarg, my dad just told me after I searched the whole darn garage that he threw it away cuz 'it was broken.' GAH! Why didn't I find this website sooner? (On second thought, I take that back
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway, so you guys are saying (I am totally commiting this turntable to my room btw): TT - Radio Shack pre-amp (I'll ground it to my speakers) - RCA converter (those two outputs combine into one jack) - speakers

Do you think that will be enough power?

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Blarg, my dad just told me after I searched the whole darn garage that he threw it away cuz 'it was broken.' GAH! Why didn't I find this website sooner? (On second thought, I take that back
biggrin.gif
)

Anyway, so you guys are saying (I am totally commiting this turntable to my room btw): TT - Radio Shack pre-amp (I'll ground it to my speakers) - RCA converter (those two outputs combine into one jack) - speakers

Do you think that will be enough power?

you know, for the same price that's going to cost you, why not hit ebay for an old marantz. you can score them from 50-100 bucks, and that's the shipped cost. you get your phono stage and plenty of power with it, and even a decent headphone out. and if you get a receiver instead of an integrated, you'll have a nice tuner too!

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
I shall never EVER make fun of a CD player again...unless Bose makes one
tongue.gif

They already do...the Wave Radio with CD player. Surprisingly it doesn't sound bad, albeit extremely overpriced. My grandma has one, as does my dad downstairs in his shop.

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
They already do...the Wave Radio with CD player. Surprisingly it doesn't sound bad, albeit extremely overpriced. My grandma has one, as does my dad downstairs in his shop.

There is a misconception here, Bose products generally does not sound bad, jst that they are a way over priced, and for that money you cna do a lot better...but they sound good...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back