I'm loving life with the 650s
Sep 16, 2007 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PolkManiac

100+ Head-Fier
I've had these for about a week now. They do take some getting used to, but I've really come to appreciate their sound in the last couple days. When I go from these back to my HD280Pro, there's a huge difference.

I think the important thing with these cans is patience. When I first heard them, I was unimpressed, felt like someone threw a blanket over my headphones (and I'm used to a more laid back sound, see the loudspeakers in my sig). It's different with cans though, and took some getting used to.

I got the ASL MG Head OTL (I know you guys have been talking about it for years, but I'm new to this whole thing) in today and that just opened them up even more. The bass filled in and tightened up, and extension on highs is much better.

Bottom line, the information that I've found here on Head-Fi has proven to be invaluable in getting everything up and running.

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #4 of 15
They're excellent cans. I've tried a number of headphones over the years and keep coming back to the 600/650s. The distance (lack of forwardness) took some getting used to and now it's one of my favorite characterists of the cans. They sound like sitting center audience of a good show.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 15
I've found that as I upgraded my amps and source, the HD650s kept delivering more and more sonic goodness.

And I prefer the speaker-like presentation of the HD650s compared to flatter (and more boring, less 3D and dynamic) soundstages from other headphones.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Isn't it just great? I can keep on appreciating it and not take it for granted.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 15
Damn, this thread makes me want to buy these even more.
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 15
Cosign! I've had mine for a little over a week. I was upgrading from a pair of 580s. I really like the Sennheiser sound. But it just got better yesterday. I got my new DAC. Now I'm hearing even deeper bass without losing the sharp resolution of these headphones. I can't wait for the amps to start arriving. I think the Slee Solo or Meier Cantate might be first.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound of the 650's.. Is like you are a baby in your mothers warm & loving arms rocking you to sleep..
redface.gif

Now THAT is a convincing argument, that makes me want to give them another try!

Sep 18, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound of the 650's.. Is like you are a baby in your mothers warm & loving arms rocking you to sleep..
redface.gif

But don't those arms muffle things a bit?

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happymonkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How long would you say you've been listening to them for and was there any specific time when you noticed an audible change (both positive or negative)?

I've spent about a solid week with them at this point. At first they sounded a bit muffled, but that was just because I was used to brighter sounding cans. I can barely bring myself to listen to my HD280Pro now, and a week ago I thought they were awesome headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back