I'm lost searching for a $600-$650 ES9018 DAC
May 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I've been a little bit out of the game for a bit but I really need some help looking for a DAC. 

Here's the system its going into:

SB Touch or SB Emulator (Squeezelite on a MacBook Pro) Digital Output --> (The DAC I need) --> EHHA Rev A or Bijou Amp (have both) --> HD800 and sometimes HE-500

I'm really hoping for an ES9018 DAC, 32bit would be nice, and I'm just completely lost with what to look for this year. I've been looking very closely at the Audio-gd NFB-1(2014), but I've read bad things about their implementation of their fully discrete components. I really need a DAC that is going to do well with the details, have glimmering highs, without making anything harsh.

I've got $650 to spend, so lets limit it to $680 and no more.

Inputs I want:
   - USB
   - Digital Coax

Outputs I want
   - RCA
   - Balanced XLR is a plus

Suggestions?

(And for all those who are concerned, I have done my searching, and that's why I'm here)

Thanks!

May 13, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #2 of 3
  Hi guys,

I've been a little bit out of the game for a bit but I really need some help looking for a DAC. 

Here's the system its going into:

SB Touch or SB Emulator (Squeezelite on a MacBook Pro) Digital Output --> (The DAC I need) --> EHHA Rev A or Bijou Amp (have both) --> HD800 and sometimes HE-500

I'm really hoping for an ES9018 DAC, 32bit would be nice, and I'm just completely lost with what to look for this year. I've been looking very closely at the Audio-gd NFB-1(2014), but I've read bad things about their implementation of their fully discrete components. I really need a DAC that is going to do well with the details, have glimmering highs, without making anything harsh.

I've got $650 to spend, so lets limit it to $680 and no more.

Inputs I want:
   - USB
   - Digital Coax

Outputs I want
   - RCA
   - Balanced XLR is a plus

Suggestions?

(And for all those who are concerned, I have done my searching, and that's why I'm here)

Thanks!

The obvious choice for an additional $20 is the new Yulong D200 but it is the 9016 not the 9018. I don't know what you read about the analog section of the Audio-gd products, but they are very well regarded here on Headfi. In your price range they should be at the top of your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back